You can get a cheap an decent H.265 capable Android TV box for less than $50 with MXQ S85, but MK808B Plus may be the cheapest H.265 capable player on the market, as the Amlogic S805 based Android TV stick sells for just
$35.99 on Aliexpress including shipping (promotion valid for 6 days). [Update: Apparently the seller “changed his mind”, and nobody could actually buy for $35.99, so the best option is with GeekBuying for $39.99, also a promotion for the first 1,000 pieces or 10 days whichever comes first] [Update Dec 9, 2014: Promotion for $29.99 on Gearbest with MK808BCN coupon valid until January 9, 2015].
- SoC – Amlogic S805 quad core ARM Cortex A5 @ 1.5GHz with quad core Mali-450MP GPU
- System Memory – 1 GB DDR3
- Storage – 8 GB NAND flash + micro SD slot up to 32GB
- Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 4.0.
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 1.4b (female)
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 ports + 1x mini USB OTG port + 1x mini USB for power
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 88 x 32 x 16 mm
- Weight – 30 grams
The device ships with a micro USB OTG adapter, an HDMI cable, a power adapter with a USB cable, and a user’s manual. Compared to full-size Amlogic S805 players, you’ll lose Ethernet, optical S/PDIF, and usually one or two USB ports. It runs Android 4.4 with the MediaBox user interface, and is pre-loaded XBMC just like its big brothers.
The normal price is $45 to $50, and after the promo ends it can also be purchased on Ebay, Aliexpress, and GeekBuying. The latter will start a promotion on November 19 (tomorrow) selling the device for $39,99.
Thank you Gabe!
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.