I reviewed Wetek Play Android media player with a DVB-S2 tuner this summer, and although I found it pretty good for a dual core media player, and liked its PVR functions, more work was needed to fix several bugs, and improve “WeTek Theater Live TV” app. Several months later, they must consider their devices ready, as they’ve now launched their online store selling the DVB-S2 and DVB-C/T/T2 versions for 109 Euros, and a version without DVB tuner for 99 Euros, all including free shipping worldwide.
Let’s remind us of the specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic AML8726-MX dual core Cortex A9 @ 1.5GHz with a dual core Mali-400MP GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 4 GB NAND flash + 1x micro SD slot
- Video Output – HDMI, AV (CVBS + R/L audio)
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV, and optical S/PDIF
- Tuners – DVB-S2, or DVB-C/DVB-T/DVB-T2 depending on model with two antenna connectors. ATSC and ISDBT versions may also be in the works based on the released datasheet.
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi , and Bluetooth 4.0 (AP6210)
- USB – 3x external USB 2.0 ports, 2x internal USB 2.0 ports (used by anti-copy USB token, and RF dongle for remote)
- Debugging – Serial debug port
- Misc – IR receiver, 3 LEDs for power, Ethernet and Wi-Fi, RS-232 port for serial console.
- Power – 12V/1.5A
Beside running Android 4.4, the company also provided me with some images for Lubuntu 14.04, Linux Enlightement, CyanogenMod, AOKP, OMNI ROM, and PanaroidAndroid, as well as CWM and TWRP recovery. But these are rather old, so I’d wait for the latest images on their Download page (now empty, except user’s guide). More recently, I’ve also received links to the latest OpenElec 5.0 and Android 4.2 images. You might also find more details on WeTek forum, where the Linux section is moderated by codesnake an active OpenElec developer. The device is also one of the rare Android media players to be get the Google GMS certification.
Further details can be found on WeTek Play product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|