Home > Hardware, Intel Atom, Windows 8 > Intel Atom Z3735F Based Voyo Mini PC Features 64GB Storage, a 1,000 mAh Battery

Intel Atom Z3735F Based Voyo Mini PC Features 64GB Storage, a 1,000 mAh Battery

February 10th, 2015 Leave a comment Go to comments

Most mini PCs powered by Intel Atom Z3735F “Bay Trail-T” processor on the market only come with 16 to 32GB internal storage, and based on my experience with MeLE PCG03, even 32GB eMMC can fill up pretty quickly on a Windows 8.1 machine. Now there’s an option with 64GB storage thanks to Voyo Mini PC.

Voyo_Mini_PCVoyo mini PC specifications:

• SoC – Intel Atom Z3735F “Bay Trail” quad core processor @ 1.33 GHz (Bust freq: 1.83 GHz) with Intel HD graphics
  • System Memory – 2 GB DDR3
  • Storage – 64 GB eMMC + SD card slot (up to 128 GB)
  • Video Output – mini HDMI 1.4 (Does not support 4K video)
  • Audio Output – mini HDMI, and 3.5mm audio jack
  • Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 4.0
  • USB – 3x USB 2.0 host, 1x micro USB for power
  • Misc – Power Button, power LED
  • Battery – 10,000 mAh battery 1,000 mAh battery (Source: minimachines)
  • Power Supply – 5V/2A
  • Dimensions – 126 x 126 x 12 mm
  • Weight – 140 grams

The package include the mini PC, a power adapter, and a user’s manual. That means you’ll need to purchase a mini HDMI cable to use the device, if you don’t have one already. Specifications claim support for 4K video output via HDMI, but they probably mean 4K video decoding (up to 30fps) and output to 1080p. The device is very light, so it’s likely there’s not much for cooling, and playing high framerate / bitrate videos may lead to throttling in Kodi. Ubuntu + Kodi is said to better handle these videos, but HDMI audio is not working yet. The computer is pre-loaded with Windows 8.1 with Bing, but the included license – if any – is not specifically listed.

You can get the device for $113.99 on GeekBuying with coupon DYYLAVEJ, so the price is quite attractive considering the larger flash, and the battery. Other shipping options include GearBest for $157.22, and Aliexpress for $130 and up. [Update: It’s also on Newegg for $170.00, so I’d assume that one has a proper Windows 8.1 license]

Thanks to dhead666 for the tip.

1. Paulin ARBOUX
    February 10th, 2015 at 18:18 | #1
  2. Gennaro
    February 10th, 2015 at 19:05 | #2

On GeekBuying they state that the battery capacity is only 1,000 mAh.
    Just enough to operate as an UPS surrogate, but not suitable for un-wired operation.

3. February 10th, 2015 at 19:14 | #3

@Gennaro
    Hmm. I must have had hallucinations, as I took the data on GeekBuying website… Anyway, I’ve updated the post with the correct battery capacity.

4. ben
    February 10th, 2015 at 19:37 | #4

hdmi 1.4 supports 4k x 2k video at 30fps as per hdmi spec

5. adem
    February 10th, 2015 at 20:58 | #5

i got one of these 🙂

6. adem
    February 10th, 2015 at 21:02 | #6

it should be in my hands in around 2 weeks or so i wonder if i can make a hackintosh from it

7. February 10th, 2015 at 21:11 | #7

@ben
    Correct, but I have one of these Z3735F mini PCs (although not that model), and I can’t find any option for 4K video output. 1080p60 is the maximum that I can set.

8. Harley
    February 10th, 2015 at 21:38 | #8

Why does it have a 1,000 mAh battery? Just for UPS or?

9. ben
    February 10th, 2015 at 22:54 | #9

All the new atom chips can decode 4k video and some can also output at 30fps but I cant seem to find definitive information on this particular chip. But I see mele also uses the same chip and they list spec as 4k output also.

10. cid
    February 10th, 2015 at 23:03 | #10

Crappy piece of hardware if it doesnt support hdmi out for that price

11. qwiqooq
    February 10th, 2015 at 23:33 | #11

@cid

It does support HDMI out. If it’s not so how can you even use it after turning it on at first place?

12. KiNiO
    February 10th, 2015 at 23:55 | #12

to bad that its not Z3735D, Z3735F has slightly slower graphic card on board 🙁
    My Asus EeeBook X205 vs my friend Acer Switch 10, my Asus is good few frames better in games that we have tested.

13. Marius
    February 11th, 2015 at 01:50 | #13

@KiNiO
    Doesn’t really matter much. A few frames more or less is pretty much the same unless it’s from 20 to 30 fps, it doesn’t count.
    What I’d like to see here is the next gen of Intel graphics but for this we’ll have wait for the Baytrail successor. I do hope that the new SOC from Intel will be pin compatible with Baytrail given all these Baytrail devices out there. If manufacturers will have an easy upgrade path and good prices for the new SOC we’ll see updated devices soon.

14. RK
    February 11th, 2015 at 04:05 | #14

Just for reference, though I didn’t test a modern rechargeable but an old alkaline, a few years back a triple A store bought cheap Toshiba battery had 1000mAh(wikipedia says 860-1200), 1.5v and 0.5A. Now, the internal resistance I’ve measured was quite high as I was measuring 0.5A current short-circuited so divided by the 1.5v voltage that’s 3Ohm.
    So, Assuming you really need those TTL level 5V/2A figures, those bay trail atoms seem about right with 5 AAA batteries in a series or maybe 5 pairs (10 total) if you’re using cheap rechargeable that have low capacity each.

15. February 11th, 2015 at 09:25 | #15

@ben
    MeLE advertizes PCG03 as a 4K mini PC, because it can decode 4K, but I can assure you it won’t output 4K.

A 4K windows desktop would probably be sluggish on this type of hardware anyway.

16. venom1000
    February 11th, 2015 at 11:18 | #16

Hi guys, I get one yesterday & I m very disappointed !
    I can’t decode 1080p !
    All my videos mkv files 1080p wont work properly !
    Videos on youtube 720p lag in firefox & chrome. 720p work good on IE.

I’m lost ! What I have to do to get 1080p work properly !
    I try to change video player like kmplayer or gomplayer but same results.
    any suggest ?
    thanks

17. February 11th, 2015 at 14:01 | #17

Hello everyone who has this PC already. Is the windows activated?

18. ben
    February 11th, 2015 at 16:18 | #18

I bought a pipo x7 from gearbest for $94 and windows with bing was activated along with office so I dont see any reason this model would not be also as both are advertised with bing. The meego pad I received only indicated windows 8 and they wanted an additional $25 for activation.

19. February 11th, 2015 at 16:44 | #19

@ben
    The Microsoft license issue is nasty. Pipo X7 sold mini PC with a tablet license, that’s why Windows 8.1 is free, but Microsoft is not to happy about that, and I’ve read Pipo has run into issues.

So now when you buy an Intel mini PC with Windows, you may get
    1. Windows 8.1 with Bing for tablet with a free and looking-valid-but-not-so-valid license.
    2. Windows 8.1 Pro trial without license
    3. Windows 8.1 with Bing NTE. That’s the license Microsoft approves on these types of mini PCs and it costs about $25 to $30.

Sellers seldom mention what they actually sell so it’s difficult to know for sure what you will get.

20. February 11th, 2015 at 17:24 | #20

@venom1000
    I’ve tested videos on Kodi 14 in Mele PCG03, a platform with the same hardware, and it was quite good.
    If your MKV videos are like full movie 2 to 4GB / H.264 / 24 to 30 fps, it should be no problem. Maybe there’s something wrong. Does it get hot? Try Kodi or/and VideoLAN first maybe.

21. Sam Butler
    February 11th, 2015 at 18:00 | #21

The Gearbest rep on freaktab claims that it comes with an activated. But which license that is, who knows.

22. venom1000
    February 12th, 2015 at 03:20 | #22

Wow ! Kodi run the 1080p i’m confused !
    vlc run 1 image by 5 sec lol
    Media player classic with some changes I can run 1080p with low framskip.

23. adem
    February 13th, 2015 at 06:51 | #23

i made a quick video on the device https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtfuSFMp3uQ

24. Steel_Wind
    February 15th, 2015 at 01:24 | #24

Ordered mine on Jan 31 from Geekbuying and still waiting for delivery in Toronto. I have a couple of Amazon Fire TVs for XBMC that I am very happy with, so my current intention is to see if I can borg the guys of this Voyo Mini PC, internally if I can, inside a Hanns-G HT231DPBU 23″ Black Touchscreen 10 point Multi-Touch Monitor (I got it on clearance for $125) to come up with a freestanding Windows 8.1 touchscreen PC for less than $300.

I even have a 500GB 2.5″ 9mm drive left over from a PS4 upgrade, so we’ll see if I can make that work as well. If I have to velcro all of this on externally or reconfigure using a differently shaped project box to fit the contours of the monitor, then so be it.

Geekbuying used PostNL to ship it. Any idea how long Dutch post typically takes?

25. February 15th, 2015 at 10:24 | #25

@Steel_Wind
    PostNL should take a few weeks. (maybe two, three or four weeks).

Edit: That’s if you are in Europe. Since you are in Canada, it could take a bit longer. In my case, it typically takes around 6 weeks to ship via Europe. (I’m in Asia).

26. qwiqooq
    February 15th, 2015 at 21:05 | #26

It seems that GeekBuying is taking pre-order for the Ainol Mini PC for $128 (which has only 32GB storage but you will get a 7,000 mAh battery and a USB 3.0 port)

BTW, here is another Windows stick PC which just popped up on AliExpress for $99 in case someone is interested

27. toyotoabedzrock
    February 16th, 2015 at 03:57 | #27

MS said they where going to give free licenses to smaller tablets on arm so maybe this is also running a similar license. They are like Intel giving away the product or very low cost license costs to make inroads

28. johnjhn
    February 17th, 2015 at 04:17 | #28

Does this have an audio input / microphone input?

29. Steel_Wind
    February 23rd, 2015 at 03:20 | #29

johnjhn :
    Does this have an audio input / microphone input?

Not an input as such, but there *is* a microphone on the mother board behind the small pinhole to the left of the micro-usb used for power on the back of the unit. It is small round and black and can be seen on the interior tear-down on the Voyo Mini PC video. Because of its size and location it is not really of much real use from what I understand. If you need a microphone input, you can do that by way of USB.

30. Steel_Wind
    February 23rd, 2015 at 03:22 | #30

@qwiqooq

I would have *gladly* selected 32GB less in exchange for USB 3.0. Far happier if that came with a RJ45 Gigabit LAN port, too.

31. Steel_Wind
    February 23rd, 2015 at 03:26 | #31

There are a number of unused ZIF sockets on the motherboard of the Voyo. One in particular, located on the back of the unit beside the main processor appears to be a ZIF socket for ribbon cable to output to a HDMI Flat panel; it is used for that purpose on tablet devices like the A1.

I have no idea if this ZIF socket can be made to work to connect a device without using the HDMI port – but it seems likely.

32. nm
    February 26th, 2015 at 03:06 | #32

@Edgaras
    Yes, mine is activated. Graphics drivers don’t seem to recognise my TV though 🙁

33. Steel_Wind
    March 8th, 2015 at 01:00 | #33

Finally got my device. Flawless out of box experience. Performs much better than I ever expected it would. Windows 8.1 activated. My only complaint hardware wise is that to be ideal, this needs USB 3.0 and, above all, RJ45 with Gigabit LAN (even if that would make the device a little thicker).

Putting that aside, the Voyo Mini PC is a cheap device that performs well and exceeds all reasonable expectations. Truly impressive out of box experience. I have owned 35+ computers/laptops over the past 30 years. Never, not once, has an out of box experience with a computer been as good as this one. Yes, I know that sounds improbable — but it is nevertheless true.

34. Ivan
    August 27th, 2015 at 18:02 | #35

I bouth YOYO Mini pc. First time started with windovs work perfekt playing youtube vidios,when I power it down it changet to Android OS.
    now I kan”t getit bek to start in windows or I kan get out of Android to switch to windows.
    If any one have any way howe to please let Me knove.

1. July 6th, 2015 at 18:00 | #1