Merrii unveiled H7 Hummingbird board based on Allwinner H8 octa core Cortex A7 processor a few days ago, but it turns out they’ve not been the only ones working on a board with that processor, as Cubietech also showcased prototypes of Cubieboard 5, which they also call CubieTruck Plus, around mid July.
They’ve only shown pictures of the board, without much more information, but we can derive most specifications from the pictures:
- SoC – AllWinner H8 octa-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor @ up to 2.0GHz with PowerVR SGX544 GPU @ up to 700MHz
- System Memory – 2GB RAM (4x H5TQ4G63AFR-PCB DDR3 chips)
- Storage – FORESEE eMMC or NAND flash + micro SD card slot + SATA port (via GL830 USB 2.0 to SATA bridge)
- Video Output – HDMI and DisplayPort
- Audio – HDMI, optical S/PDIF, 3.5mm headphone jack, built-in microphone
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet (RTL8211E), dual band WiFi 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0 (AP6330 module)
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port, 1x micro USB OTG port
- Expansion – 30-pin, 24-pin and 16-pin expansion headers
- Debugging – 4-pin header for serial console
- Misc – IR receiver, 4x LED, power/reset/u-boot button
- Power Supply
- 5V (2A without HDD, 3A with 2.5″ HDD).
- External battery support
- AXP818 PMIC
- Dimensions – Probably 11 x 8 x 1.4 cm
The board appears to have the same form factor as the original CubieTruck, and beside the new processor (Allwinner A20 dual core vs Allwinner H8 octa core), they’ve also replaced the VGA port by a DisplayPort connector. This also means most accessories such as CubieTruck Metal Case will also be compatible.
There no official information about the supported operating systems, but again it’s very likely that the ones provided for CubieTruck (Cubieboard3) will be updated to the new board, i.e. Android, CubieEZ, Ubuntu Linaro server, and Debian server.
Pricing and availability information have not been announced yet.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|