I featured an HDD enclosure with WiFi and Ethernet on CNX Software a few months ago, and several people were interested, bought one, and found out it was running OpenWRT, and easily to adapt to your needs, although some people complains it was not able to connect as a client. There’s now a new model, looking similar, by powered by Mediatek MT7620N and supporting 300 Mbps WiFi.
- Processor – Mediatek MT7620N MIPS processor @ 580 MHz
- System Memory – 64MB DDR1
- 16MB SPI flash for firmware
- SATA interface for 2.5″ HDD up to 2TB (10TB is shown in the description)
- File systems – FAT32, NTFS, EXT64 (Sic.).
- 2.4GHz WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n 2×2 up to 300 Mbps with 2 internal antennas
- Wireless security – WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK/AES encryption, Intelligent QoS management system, Wireless Access control, SSID hiding
- Wi-Fi repeater mode
- 10/100M Ethernet port
- 3G supported via USB
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port, 1x USB 3.0 OTG port
- Misc – Reset pinhole, LEDs for power, WiFi, Ethernet, SATA, USB, and battery charge level
- Battery – 4,000 mAh polymer battery
- Power Supply – Via USB 3.0 OTG port
- Dimensions – 145 x 90 x 21 mm (plastic + metal housing)
The operating systems is called “Ki Smart Router System”, but it’s likely to be based on OpenWRT, like the previous model from Kimax. The enclosure supports SAMBA, FTP, and “KI intelligent storage server” to share data over the network, and can be configured & managed via its web interface.
This new “mini NAS” can be found on Aliexpress for $39.90. Kimax does not seem to have a website, or maybe it’s just a brand used by retailers, but I could find another manufacturer or reseller called “Shenzhen Dowdon Tech” selling a similar device based on MT7620n on Alibaba.
Thanks to Roel for the tip.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|