- MCU – Atmel SAMD21G14A-MU Cortex M0+ MCU @ 48MHz with 16KB SRAM and 2KB Flash
- SoC – Mediatek MT7260n MIPS24KEc Wi-Fi SoC @ 580 MHz
- System Memory – 64MB DDR2
- Storage – 32MB flash for firmware (OpenWRT)
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, and Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n with dual PCB antennas
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports + 1x micro USB port for power and programming
- Expansion – 2x Tessel module ports (10-pin headers) connected to SAMA21 MCU.
- Power – 5V via micro USB.
- Dimensions – N/A
Most external modules for Tessel 1 are supported on Tessel 2, but the company has decided to get rid of some Tessel modules like Camera, Bluetooth LE, or micro SD card, as USB dongles with these functionalities already exist at a cheaper price, and only kept low speed Tessel module such as sensors, relays or servos since they are better suited to the I/O capabilities of an MCU. Check out the list of Tessel & USB modules for details.
Tessel 1 costs $75, and despite being more powerful Tessel 2 only costs $35 for single order. The great thing is that if you have a small scale project (10 units or more), they can customized manufacturing for example by leaving the Ethernet RJ45 connector and USB connectors unpopulated, and adding Tessel or USB modules. Price goes down with volume, and for order over 1,000 unit, Tessel 2 will cost less than $30.
Tessel 2 is up for pre-order until April 4 (for the first batch) on tessel.io, but the downside is that the boards are only expected to ship in August 2015.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|