Remix OS 2.0 Android port with optimization for desktop use is great on ARM hardware, as in most cases, Linux distributions or Windows 10 don’t really run perfectly on such hardware. Remix OS for x86 could also be an option for your older computer that may feel sluggish with recent desktop operating systems, but would people really run it on newer and faster x86 hardware as their main OS? Jide and Asus actually think there’s a market here, and both companies collaborated to optimize Remix OS 2.0 for Asus N3150I-C mini-ITX motherboard powered by Intel Celeron N3150 processor.
For reference, I’ll list the main specifications of Asus N3150C-I motherboard:
- SoC – Intel Celeron N3150 “Braswell” quad core processor @ up to 2.08 GHz with Intel HD Graphics Gen8 @ up to 640 MHz – 6W TDP
- System Memory – 2x U-DIMM up to 8GB DDR3 1600/1066 MHz Non-ECC dual channel memory
- Storage – 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors
- Video Output – HDMI, VGA, and LVDS
- Audio – Realtek ALC887-VD2 Audio Codec, 7.1 CH HD Audio; 3x audio jacks
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet,
- USB – External: 2x USB 3.0 ports, and xx USB 2.0 ports; Internal: 1x USB 3.0 port & 1x USB 2.0 port
- Serial – 1x COM port (DB9), 1x COM header
- Expansion – 1x PCI Express 2.0 x1 Slot
- Power Supply – 24-pin EATX power connector; 4-pin ATX 12V power connector
- Dimensions – Mini-ITX form factor
That’s not the fastest hardware around, but it’s still pretty good and similar to MINIX NGC-1, which I reviewed with Windows 10, and found to perform pretty well. Netbook Italia met with the companies at CES Asia 2016 to discuss about Remix OS on Asus mini-ITX board.
The solution will be available to end users who purchase the mini-ITX board, or to manufacturers who want to create a complete solution with case and power supply.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|