We’ve seen many small computer based on Intel Atom Bay Trail-T (Tablet) Z3735F/G processor lately including MINIX NEO Z64 and MeegoPad T01, which should ship by the end of the month (it keeps getting postponed). But Intel also makes Bay Trail-M (Mobile) processor for laptops, including Celeron N2807 dual core processor found in ECS Liva. Two new products based on N2807 processor has recently surfaced: Giada F110D and Asus E210. According to CPU Boss (see Google cache if link has problem), Z3735F has slightly greater multi-core performance than N2807, but the latter has better single thread performance based on Passmark. One key advantage of the Celeron processors over the Atom ones is that they support up to 4GB RAM instead of 1 or 2 GB for the Bay Trail-T processor. Giada F110D also has one version with a more powerful Intel Bay Trail-D (Desktop) Celeron J1900 quad core processor.
- SoC – Intel Celeron N2807 (Bay Trail M) dual core processor @ 1.58 GHz (Burst: 2.16 GHz – 4.5W TDP) or Intel Celeron J1900 (Bay Trail D) quad core processor @ 2.0 GHz (Burst: 2.14 GHz – TDP 10W), both with Intel HD graphics.
- System Memory – Not included. Supports up to 4GB RAM
- Storage – Not included. Support 2.5″ SATA drive, or mSATA SSD, and comes with 4-in-1 (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO) card reader.
- Video Output – 1x HDMI, 1x VGA
- Audio – HDMI, and Audio In and Out jacks
- Connectivity – 2x Gigabit Ethernet. Optional 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 4.0 module.
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 4x USB 2.0 ports
- Misc – 2x COM ports, IR receiver
- Power – N/A
- Dimensions – 190 x 149 x 26 mm
- SoC – Intel Celeron N2807 (Bay Trail M) dual core processor @ 1.58 GHz (Burst: 2.16 GHz) – 4.5W TDP
- System Memory – 2GB to 4GB RAM via 1x SO-DIMM
- Storage – Up to 128GB SSD, 4-in-1 card reader
- Video Output – 1x HDMI, 1x VGA
- Audio – HDMI, and headphone and microphone jacks
- Connectivity – 1x Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi with external antenna
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 3x USB 2.0 ports
- Misc – 1x COM ports, 1x Kesington Lock
- Power Consumption – 6.36W (idle)
- Dimensions – 219 x 172.5 x 29 mm
- Weight – 690 grams
Asus mini PC is sold with a keyboard, mouse, an AC adapter with a power cord, a warranty card, a quick manual, and a VESA mount kit. It will ship with Windows Embedded 8 Standard, Windows Embedded Standard 7, or DOS (FreeDOS?). The latter is probably to let you install your preferred operating systems by yourself. Price and availability are unknown at this tage.More details can be found on Asus E210 product page.
Based on the specs both Giada and Asus models are probably targetting business users first, but there’s no reason why you would not able to use these for private use. Ubuntu is running on ECS Liva, albeit with some caveats, so it should also run on these two models. but possibly without Wi-Fi support. Having said that, Giada claims Linux support so they must have the right drivers…
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|