So far, I had only seen Android TV box with digital TV tuner using Amlogic or HiSilicon solutions, but S204 Android set-top box differs, as it is powered by Allwinner H3 quad core Cortex A7 processor, and includes DVB-T2/C (Terrestrial and cable TV) and DVB-S2 (satellite TV) tuners.
AFAIK, Allwinner H3 does not include any TS interfaces, so they must have used USB tuner chip(s) [Update: Allwinner H3 does have a Transport Stream interface as per the datasheet, but it’s not really advertised by Allwinner]
- SoC – Allwinner H3 quad core Cortex A7 @ 1.2/1.3 GHz with Mali-400MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – 8GB flash + micro SD slot
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4 up to 4K @ 30 Hz + AV (composite)
- Audio Output – HDMI, AV (stereo audio), and optical S/PDIF
- Support HD DVB-S2, DVB-T2 and DVB-C;
- Support for BISS,CCCAM, NEWCAM, GSCAM, and MGCAM
- LNB in with satellite dish antenna, RF input for indoor / outdoor terrestrial antenna or cable
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n WiFi
- USB – 2x USB host ports, including one OTG capable port
- Misc – Power button, front panel LCD display
- Power Supply – 12V/1.5A
- Dimensions – 140 x 120 x 25mm
- Weight – 326 grams
The device runs Android 4.4.2 and ships with a remote control, a power adaprer, HDMI and AV cables, and a user’s manual. If the screenshots are to be believed, the interface appears to be the same eOn center launcher as used on U4 Quad Hybrid, which offers support for PVR, Time-shifting, EPG, a configuration web interface, and more, and is actually pretty good.
S204 is sold for $79.99 on GeekBuying, and considering it’s unclear whether it will get the same level of support as U4 Quad Hybrid, does not feel like such a good deal as K1 Plus T2 S2 is now sold for $60, and supports 4K DVB-S2 @ 60 fps thanks to an Amlogic S905 processor. The manufacturer could be a company called L&Y electric industries Co based on listings for a DVB-T2/C only model on Global Sources and ECPlaza.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|