Yesterday, Xiaomi introduced Mi 6 smartphone, in what looked like to be their premium model, but it turns out they have a more powerful (and expensive) model with Mi MIX 2 Phablet/Smartphone boasting the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor, but equipped with up to 8GB RAM, 256 GB flash, and a 6.4″ display with 2560×1440 resolution and virtually without any bezels.
- SoC – Qualcomm Snpadragon 835 octa-core Kryo 280 processor with 4x cores @ 2.45 GHz, 4x cores @ 1.9 GHz, Adreno 540 GPU with support for OpenGL ES 3.2, OpenCL 2.0 full, Vulkan, DX12, Hexagon 682 DSP
- System Memory – 4, 6 or 8 GB LPDDR4X dual channel memory
- Storage – 128 or 256 GB UFS 2.0 flash; NO micro SD card
- Display – 6.4″ capacitive touch AMOLED display with 2560×1440 resolution
- Audio – Speakers; microphone; 3.5mm audio jack
- Cellular Connectivity
- 2G – 580/900/1800/1900 MHz; CDMA EVDO: BC0
- 3G – WCDMA B1/2/5/8; TD-SCDMA: B34/39
- 4G – FDD-LTE: 850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600MHz; TDD-LTE: B38/B39/B40/B41
- Dual Nano SIM card dual standby
- Other Wireless Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS
- Camera – 19 MP dual rear camera with flash and auto focus; 13.0MP front-facing camera
- USB – Micro USB port
- Sensors – Ambient Light Sensor, Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Fingerprint scanner
- Battery – 4,500 mAh Lithium battery
- Dimensions – 15.80 x 8.19 x 0.79 cm
- Weight – 209 grams
The phone will run MIUI 9 based on Android 7.1 Nougat, and ship with a power adapter, a USB cable, and a “SIM needle”. A few items in the specifications above are inconsistent with the features of Mi 6 smaprthone, so I guess they may be incorrect: 3.5mm audio jack is not part of Mi 6, the wireless module is probably 802.11ac + Bluetooth 5, micro USB port ? seriously? It must be a USB type C port. I also have a gut feeling the sensor list is incomplete. Nevertheless, that device looks just as powerful as some entry level to mid range computers or laptops.
The reason why we don’t have clear specifications is because Xiaomi has not formally launched the device, but GearBest has listed the phone/phablet on their website, with three models:
- 4GB RAM / 128 GB flash – $848.91 shipped
- 8GB RAM / 128 GB flash – $951.37 shipped
- 8GB RAM / 256 GB flash – $1094.81 shipped
It’s also possible, GearBest is playing it safe, and gave higher prices before the product is formally announced, and while they are gathering emails to send “Arrival Notices” later on. We’ll know the real price of the phone once Xiaomi introduces it in China.