Sierra Wireless has announced MangOH Red open source hardware platform designed for IIoT (Industrial IoT) applications with a snap-in socket for 2G to 4G & LTE-M/NB-IoT modules, built-in WiFi and Bluetooth, various sensors, a 26-pin expansion header, and more.
MangOH Red board specifications:
- Snap-in socket to add any CF3-compatible modules, most of which based on Qualcomm MDM9215 ARM Cortex A5 processor including:
- Airprime WP7502 LTE Cat 3, HSPA, WCDMA, EDGE/GPRS module
- Airprime WP7504 LTE Cat 3, HSPA, WCDMA, CDMA module
- Airprime WP7601 LTE Cat 4 module
- Airprime WP7603 LTE Cat 4, WCDMA module
- Airprime WP8548 HSPA, WCDMA, EDGE/GPRS, and GNSS module
- AirPrime HL6528RD quad-band GSM/GPRS Embedded Wireless Module designed for the automotive market
- And more….
- Storage – micro SD slot
- Wireless MCU Module – Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.2 BLE module with an ARM Cortex-M4 core MCU (Mediatek MT7697) providing access to real-time I/Os
- Wireless Connectivity “Accessories”
- Micro SIM card holder; ESIM
- Main, GNSS, & Diversity antennas connectors, and WiFi/Bluetooth chip antenna
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack (unpopulated)
- Sensors – Bosch Sensortec Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Temperature and Pressure sensors, Light sensors
- 26-pin Raspberry Pi compatible connector
- IoT Expansion Card slot to plug in any technology based on the IoT Connector open standard
- 6-pin real-time I/O header controlled by WiFi/BLE module.
- 6-pin low power I/O header
- Debugging – 1x micro USB port for serial console
- Misc – LEDs; reset and user buttons;
- Power Supply – 5V via micro USB port; battery connector; power source jumpers
mangOH Red hardware design is fully open source with BoM, schematics (PDF an Allegro/OrCAD), PCB Layout (Intercept Pantheon), Gerber, and mechanical files available for download in the resources section, where you’ll also find other documentation and getting started guides for users and developers. The CF3 modules run Legato Linux developed by Sierra Wireless, and open source with the source code on Github. Code specific to MangOH Red + WP8548 was also upstreamed in Linux 4.10.
The company also offers Sierra Wireless Smart SIM with up to 100 MB free data, but you can use the board any commercially available SIM car. The board also supports AirVantage IoT Platform to create, deploy and manage solutions in the cloud.
MangOH Red board can be purchased as a bareboard, but most people will probably want to get a Starter Kit with MangOH Red plus Air Prime WP8548, WP7502 or WP7504 sold on Digikey. I’m very confused by the price list, as $99 is shown for both the bare board, and kits including the board and a CF3 module. So I’ll assume $99 is for mangOH board only, and you’d likely have to pay $200+ for a board plus a CF3 module with the total price depending on the selected module. You may find additional details on MangOH Red product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|