We’ve previously covered tuners or small boxes that allow you to watch free-to-air TV on your smartphone or tablet with products such as PT115m/PT115e or DTV Link box, but I’ve just noticed GeekBuying added TV030 DVB-T tuner that connects to the micro USB port of your smartphone, and sells for just $10.99 shipped.
- Signal: 75 Ohm Digital TV Aerial Input
- Punctured Codes: 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6 and 7/8
- Receive Frequency: DVB-T: 474 ~ 858 MHz (UHF)
- Input: DVB-T
- Bandwidth: 6/7/8 MHz
- Dimensions – 27 x 18 x 7mm; antenna: 210mm long max
- Weight – 14 grams
The stick sells with an antenna, and a CDROM apparently containing the Android apk for EZTV app. It requires Android 4.1-5.0 or greater with the following minimal requirements to watch:
- SD TV – Cortex A8 @ 800 MHz with 512MB RAM, 20 MB flash, 800×480 display resolution
- HD TV – Cortex A8 @ 1.2 GHz with 512MB RAM, 20 MB flash, 1024*600 display resolution
With this type of requirements, it’s clear the tuner is not a new product, and I could find it on Banggood too where they provided the content of the CD with padtv_v1.0.1_933(isdbt).apk. Make sure DVB-T is a supported standard in your country, as I regularly receive emails from people in the US asking me why they DVB-T2 TV box is not working… That’s possibly why there are several bad reviews on Amazon and eBay, where I also found the cheapest price ($9.99). TV030 only supports DVB-T, not DVB-T2, but Banggood points to MyGica PT360 if you want the latter. It’s out of stock in most places, but Aliexpress still has it for about $23. The review below (really starting at 1:00) shows Mygica PT360 in action. Note that TV030 and PT360 use different apps.