Xiaomi Mi Router 3 AC1200 router based on Mediatek MT7620A processor was launched in 2016 for just under $40 on online retailers. It had at least one caveat however, since it only supported Fast Ethernet.
The company has now launched an upgraded version – Xiaomi Mi Router 4 -, still an AC1200 router, but equipped with a faster Mediatek MT7621A processor, and three Gigabit Ethernet ports. The new router sells for 199 RMB ($31 US) in China, but it’s also found for under $60 including international shipping on sites like Banggood or GearBest.
- WiSoC – Mediatek MT7621A dual core MIPS processor @ 880MHz
- System Memory – 128 MB DDR3-1200
- Storage – 128 MB SLC NAND Flash
- 2.4GHz – 2X2 MIMO up to 300Mbps
- 5GHz – 2X2 MIMO up to 867 Mbps
- Wireless Security – WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK encryption, wireless access control (black and white list), SSID hiding, Intelligent Protect network
- 4x external antennas
- Ethernet – 2x Gigabit Ethernet (LAN), 1x Gigabit Ethernet (WAN)
USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port for external mass storage or 3GB dongle
- Misc – 3x LEDs, reset button, MiNET button, reset pinhole
- Power – 12V/1A (12W max)
- Dimensions – 200 x 178 x 26.3mm (a bit larger than MiWiFi 3)
- Weight – 550 grams
The USB port is however gone, so you can’t add external storage or a 3G/4G dongle.
The router ships with a power adapter, and can be managed with Xiaomi MiWiFi app for Android or iOS. If you are like me, you may not have ever heard about MiNET, and dedicated button is used to easily connect – i.e. without password – Xiaomi and Mijia smart home products using MIOT fast Wi-Fi connection protocol.
Since Xiaomi Mi Router 3 supports OpenWrt, Mi Router 4 may eventually support it, but bear in mind that it may require hardware hacks, if you forget to interrupt the boot the very first time as I discovered during my quick review of Xiaomi Mi Router 3, as the serial console will be disable afterwards.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|