Android Go is a lightweight version of Android operating system launched by Google targeting low end smartphones with the OS & apps optimized for low memory and storage. Smartphones with the latest Android 9 Go Edition were expected around Q4 2018 with further storage optimization, better security, and faster boot time.
It’s unclear whether the just launched HOMTOM C1 Android Go edition features the Android 9 version, as all screenshots appear to show Android 8 Go Edition. But eventually it might get a firmware update, and it’s now sold for around $65 shipped on Aliexpress.
- SoC – MediaTek MT6580A quad core Cortex A7 processor @ up to 1.3 GHz with Mali-400MP2 GPU
- System Memory – 1GB RAM
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash + micro SD slot up to 128GB
- Display – 5.5″ touchscreen display with 1280×640 resolution
- Cellular Connectivity
- Dual SIM dual standby SIM card socket for 2x Nano SIM or 1x Nano SIM + micro SD card
- 2G / GSM – B5 850/B8 900/B3 1800/ B2 1900
- 3G – B1/B2/B5 2100/1900/850
- Wireless Connectivity – 802.11 b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS
- Camera – 5.0MP front-facing camera, 8MP rear camera
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 type-C port
- Sensor – Fingerprint sensor
- Battery – 3,000 mAh battery good for 23 hours of talk time, 400 hours in standby
The phone ships with a charger, a USB cable, a user manual, a screen protector, a SIM card tool, and a back cover. Beside Android Go optimization, the phone main advantage may be the fairly large display for a device that price. I’m still unclear whether there’s any firmware update commitment with Android Go smartphone like there is for Android One program, but if Google and manufacturers do update firmware regularly they don’t really advertise it apart from the usual “OTA firmware update” which does not mean anything with regards to the frequency of updates.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|