According to Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 specifications, the processor can support up to 16GB LPDDR4x memory, so we should be expecting phones with insane of RAM.
The first device to features Snapdragon 855 SoC, and take advantage of the additional memory addressing is Lenovo Z5 Pro GT smartphone that comes with up to 12GB RAM.
The rest of Lenovo Z5 Pro GT specifications are pretty good too:
- SoC – Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 octa-core processor with 1x Kryo Gold Prime core @ up to 2.842 GHz,3x Kryo Gold cores @ up to 2.419 GHz,4x Kryo Silver low-power cores @ up to 1.786 GHz and Adreno 640 GPU
- System Memory / Storage options – 6GB/128GB, 8GB/128GB, 8GB/256GB, or 12GB/512GB
- Display – 6.39″ Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with 1080 x 2340 resolution
- Cellular Connectivity
- Dual Nano SIM card slot, dual stand-by
- 5G/4G/3G for the Chinese market (TBC, no detailed info so far)
- Other Wireless Connectivity
- Dual band 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi 5
- Bluetooth 5.0
- GNSS – GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
- Dual 16MP/24MP rear camera with Dual-LED dual-tone flash, HDR; 4K30 and 1080p120 video recording
- Dual mechanical pop-up 8MP/16MP front-facing camera with HDR support; 1080p30 video recording
- USB – USB 2.0 type-C port
- Sensors – Infrared face recognition, fingerprint scanner under display, accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity sensor, compass
- Battery – 3,350 mAh battery
- Dimensions – 155.1 x 73 x 9.3 mm
- Weight – 210 grams
If you want to see the “mechanical pop-up” front-facing camera action watch the video below at around 1:12 where the display slides down to reveal the camera at the top.
The phone runs Android 8.1 Oreo with ZUI 10, and apparently achieves 371,907 points in Antutu. I’m not convinced the extra memory brings much benefit with Android operating system, but at least that’s an option. It might become more useful with desktop operating systems like Samsung’s Linux on Dex solution, but that’s not an option on the Lenovo phone…
Pre-order for the phone will start on January 15, 2019 with the following pricing:
- 6GB+128GB – 2698元 (~$390)
- 8GB+128GB – 2998元 (~$435)
- 8GB+256GB – 3398元 (~$493)
- 12GB+512GB – 4398元 (~$638)
Shipping is expected for January 24.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.