SEI Robotics has showcased a new device at CES 2019 that looks like a smart speaker, and SEI 520 is indeed a smart speaker with Google Assistant support, but it also adds a digital TV tuner and a quad-core Cortex A53 processor running Android TV 9.0 operating system to allow you to watch live TV, and stream videos.
- SoC – Quad core Arm Cortex-A53 processor, possibly Amlogic S905X2
- System Memory – 2GB RAM
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash
- Video Output – HDMI up to 4K UHD
- Video Decode – VP9 and H.265/HEVC
- Output – HDMI audio + optical S/PDIF
- Input – Far-field microphone
- Speaker – No technical details provided
- Connectivity – Ethernet, 2T2R MIMO WiFi, Bluetooth 5.0
- Tuner – DVB-S2X/T2/C, ATSC, ISDBT
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 1x USB 2.0 port
- Misc – IR blaster
- Power Supply – 12V DC via power barrel jack
That’s all we know for now, and availability and pricing information is yet to be announced. There’s a product page, but you won’t find much more details at this time. In may be worth mentioning that SEI Robotics is the company behind Google ADT-2 Android TV Dongle for developers, so there’s always a chance SEI-520 becomes an official Google product.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
6 Replies to “SEI 520 is a 2-in-1 Android TV Hybrid Set-top Box and Smart Speaker”
You mention sound bars, which reminded me, I read this January that the delayed JBL sound bar, TV box, is claimed to go on sale this year.
SoC could also be S905D2 which is also Cortex A53. Other SoCs Are big.LITTLE (Quad core A73 + dual core A53) – S922X and S922D (this one includes spec for neural network – 2.5/5.0 TOPS). Specs for these SoCs are based on pictures I got from Amlogic booth at CES.
It’s indeed an S905X2, got the confirmation from SEI Robotics.
Can Debian or other Linux flavor be installed on it?
Any idea if Debian could be installed on this?
520 is in IBC2019
SoC was S905x2
I couldn’t see any mention about IR, maybe it’s elminated.