We previously covered WeTek Air, an upcoming Android TV set-top box taking DVB-T2/C, DVB-S2 or ATSC tuner cards and certified by Google. The company has now officially launched the device, and you can buy WeTek Air for 119.00 Euros without tuner or for 129.90 Euros with either a DVB-S2 or DVB-T2/C tuners. Just two caveats, only 400 pieces are available now, and they will only ship to Europe, although a worldwide launch is planned for the next batch.
- SoC – Amlogic S905D quad core Arm processor
- System Memory – 2 GB DDR4
- Storage – 16 GB eMMC flash + micro SD card slot
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 2.0a up to 4K @ 60Hz with HDR-10 support
- Video codecs – H.265 & H.264 AVC up to 4K60Hz, H.264 MVC, MPEG-4 ASP, VC-1, AVS, MPEG-2, MPEG-1 up to 1080p60
- Audio codecs – MP3, AAC, WMA, RM, FLAC, Ogg, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS
- Twin Tuners
- Europe – Digital Terrestrial and Cable Television [DVB-T/T2/C]
- World – Satellite Television [DVB-S2]
- North America (To be available later) – Over-the-Air Television [ATSC], Cable Television.
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, dual band 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 4.1, Zigbee radio
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- Misc – IR receiver
- Power Supply – DC 12V/1.5A
- Dimensions – 22 x 17 x 9 cm
- Weight – About 300 grams
Improvement over the previous WeTek Play 2 model includes support for HDR, and independent dual tuner thanks to Amlogic S905D processor. The latter means you’ll be able to record one program, while watching another one at the same time. The company also added a Zigbee radio for home automation needs.
The box runs Android TV 8.0 with WeTV app for digital TV and IPTV, and will ship with a remote control, an HDMI cable, a power adapter, and a user manual.
The boxes will have a 2-year warranty, are supposed to start shipping on February 7, 2019, and are all limited edition with a gift set including a T-Shirt celebrating the launch of the device.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.