ODROID-N2 GPU Drivers, Linux 5.0, and Impressive glmarks-es2 Score

ODROID-N2 was announced last February for $63 (2GB RAM), and $79 (4GB RAM), but Hardkernel was not quite ready to take orders at the time. One of the good news is that the 4GB RAM is now available for pre-order with shipping scheduled to start on April 3.

Another good news is on the software side with Hardkernel having released the userland Mali-G52 Wayland driver. It does not work well with Linux 4.9 due to incomplete DRM implementation, but it goes work with Linux 5.0 plus some modifications as further discussed in the aforelinked forum thread.

Ubuntu 18.04 Gnome Wayland ODROID-N2 GPU Drivers
Click to Enlarge

The screenshot above, courtesy of odroid forum member memeka , shows ODROID-N2 running Ubuntu 18.04 + Gnome3 + Linux 5.0 on top of Wayland with GPU drivers providing acceleration as shown by glmark2-es2-wayland test program.

The benchmark results are pretty impressive:

I’ve never seen such as high score (1,119 points) on Arm hardware. But at the same time, I’ve never run the wayland version of the benchmark, so that may partially explain it. For reference, RockPro64 RK3399 SBC gets 48 points in the onscreen test (default), and 201 points in the offscreen test. I could not find results for glmark2-es2-wayland for Rockchip RK3399 despite being supported. So we’ll have to see what part of the much higher score is part of the Mali-G52MP GPU, and which part is the use of Wayland over Xorg/X11.

Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.

Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples
newest most voted
memeka
memeka
1 year ago

As far as I remember from the N1, glmark2-es2-wayland results were in the 800-900 range for RK3399, but with a 32bit blob and userland. But I doubt it would have been bigger on 64bit userland.

blu
blu
1 year ago

Wayland, yay! Good job, as usual! : )

tkaiser
tkaiser

> glmark2-es2-wayland results were in the 800-900 range for RK3399

And how is it possible that Jean-Luc only got a score of 48 points when testing? Is this just the difference between X11 and Wayland?

blu
blu
1 year ago

Two words: buffer management. For the on-screen tests, the presentation part of the pipeline has been the bane of most GLX/EGL stacks. It doesn’t matter how quick a GPU is, if the presentation part does memcpy between FBs/RTs/pixelbuffers/etc. For the off-screen tests, one’d need to profile, but I’d wager some buffer management shenanigans at play as well. Wayland traditionally solves the presentation part.

blu
blu
1 year ago

That’s right, vsync is a factor in on-screen. I was referring to the registered difference in performance of N1 under wayland and x11 whether on-screen or off-screen.

theguyuk
theguyuk
1 year ago

I half recall reading some where that the drivers only work on the VPU, is that right?

TLS
TLS
1 year ago

I’d suggest taking Linux 5.x benchmarks with a pinch of salt, as apparently a lot of hardware benchmark a lot higher on Linux 5.x, but there’s no real world performance gain.

Tuff Professional
Tuff Professional
1 year ago

For real? I saw some Linux 5.0 benchmarks on Phoronix and there was a decrease in performance in some tests

TLS
TLS
1 year ago

Apparently on some ARM hardware at least. Not sure about other platforms.

miguel
miguel

what about 4k opengles?

m][sko
1 year ago

glmark should support something like offscreen rendering. so it should be possible to run test with 4k resolution

CSylvain
CSylvain
1 year ago

To date, a large majority of MALI models, can support Wayland. I am just as curious, to see turning Kodi with a VPU able to be used, something that I doubt following my many tests.
If the Amlogic codecs are still usable on the Kernel 5.0, we will have to use Framebuffer, or Xorg.

memeka
memeka
1 year ago

there are no x11 drivers, arm stopped providing them in recent mali DDKs.
for N2, there are no amlogic codecs on 5.0, but they are working for the older amlogic socs (s805, s905). so i’m sure there will be soon for N2 too.
Kodi is ok on wayland on gbm.

CSylvain
CSylvain
1 year ago

I did not know for “X11”, remains to see if an buildroot has AMLogic is planned officially, with the use of the Framebuffer and these codecs.
I doubt the Dream team is designing their own video accelerator for the “Dreambox One”, I think, they relied on the ports (/dev/amstream, /dev/amvideo…), and official codecs.

balbes150
balbes150
1 year ago

Very bad radiator design, board will overheat during benchmark and any CPU intensive task.

tkaiser
tkaiser

BS

Pelican
1 year ago

LOL. Don’t be ridiculous.

Peter
Peter
1 year ago

I assume this is another joke on you 🙂

Advertisements