We covered several 4G LTE TV boxes running Android operating system in the past, but until recently they were only available in quantities for operators or distributors. A couple of weeks ago, we found one that would sell to individuals via Aliexpress: T96G TV box. One small problem is that at $80 it’s almost 50 dollars than a TV box without LTE connectivity. The good news is there appears to be a more affordable TV box with SIM card support thanks to H6 TV box powered by Allwinner H6 and coming in 2GB/16GB or 4GB/32GB RAM/storage configurations starting at $57.99 shipped.
H6 TV box specifications:
- SoC – Allwinner H6 quad-core Arm Cortex-A53 processor with Arm
- System Memory – 2GB/4GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB/32GB, microSD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0a up to 4K @ 60 Hz with HDR support
- Video Decode – [email protected], [email protected], H.265, AVI, H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DIVD/DIVX, Real8/9/10, RM, RMVB, PMP, FLV, MP4, M4V, VOB, WMV, 3GP, MKV…
- Audio – Coaxial S/PDIF, via HDMI
- 10/100M Ethernet
- WiFi – 2GB RAM model: 2.4 GHz WiFi 4; 4GB RAM models:dual-band WiFi 5 with 2X2 MIMO
- Bluetooth 4.0
- Support for 4G FDD-LTE SIM card
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 port, 2x USB 2.0 ports
- Misc – Power LED
- Power Supply – 5V/3A
- Dimensions & Weight – TBD
The box runs Android 8.1 and must ship with a 5V/3A power supply, a remote control, and maybe an HDMI cable. You may wonder why I have not included photos showing the ports for the box including the SIM card socket. That’s because there aren’t any. That makes the 4G SIM card support claim highly dubious, especially they did not list any of the supported features. So in theory, it’s possible the box only supports 4G LTE USB adapters, so you can insert a SIM card that way, and the firmware would then have been modified to support this type of adapter and enable/disable 4G in the settings.
A web search did not reveal more details about “H6 box with SIM card support”, but there’s another Allwinner H6 TV box – T98 – with “support for 4G SIM card” sold on Zapals website for $38.99, and they do provide photos of the ports.
There’s a microSD “TF” card slot, but nothing about a SIM card slot on at least three sides. A further look in an eBay store, and we can see none of the four sides of the box comes with a SIM card slot. That’s really odd that none of the sellers of those Allwinner H6 TV boxes advertised with 4G SIM card support provide any details about the function. This leads me to believe there’s no modem at all, and as previously mentioned, you may have to connect your own 4G dongle, meaning support is likely just in the Android firmware.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.