While 5G networks are ramping, most people don’t have coverage, let alone a 5G capable smartphone or laptop, but after Snapdragon X50 and Snapdragon X55, Qualcomm has just unveiled its third-generation 5G modem with Snapdragon X60.
The new 5G modem is said to feature the world’s first 5-nanometer 5G baseband and the first 5G modem-RF system to support spectrum aggregation across all key 5G bands, namely mmWave and sub-6 using frequency division duplex (FDD) and time division duplex (TDD).
Snapdragon X60 key features:
- Cellular Technology
- 5G NR – 5G TDD, SA (standalone), 5G FDD, NSA (non-standalone)
- LTE – LTE FDD, LTE TDD including CBRS support, LAA, LTE Broadcast
- WCDMA (DB-DC-HSDPA, DC-HSUPA), TD-SCDMA, CDMA 1x, EV-DO, GSM/EDGE
- 5G Spectrum – mmWave-sub6 carrier aggregation, sub-6 carrier aggregation (FDD-TDD, FDD-FDD, TDD-TDD), Dynamic Spectrum Sharing (DSS), mmWave, sub-6 GHz
- mWave specs – 800 MHz bandwidth, 8 carriers, 2×2 MIMO
- sub-6 GHz spec -: 200 MHz bandwidth, 4×4 MIMO
- 5G Peak Speeds – Download: 7.5 Gbps; upload: 3 Gbps
- Performance Enhancement Technologies – Qualcomm 5G PowerSave, Qualcomm Signal Boost, Qualcomm Smart Transmit technology, Qualcomm RF Gaming Mode Boost, Qualcomm Wideband Envelope Tracking
- Dual-SIM support
The Snapdragon X60 5G modem also features the company’s QTM535 mmWave antenna module with a more compact design and improving mmWave performance.
Qualcomm Snapdragon X60 and QTM535 samples will start to ship in Q1 2020, and premium smartphones with the new 5G modem are expected to launch in early 2021. You may find additional information on the product page.