HiSilicon Hi3559A is a penta-core Cortex-A73/A53 processor designed for 8Kp30 or 4Kp120 smart cameras thanks to DSP cores and a single or dual-core NNIE (Neural Network Inference Engine) AI accelerator. We first found the processor in an expensive development board and noted its integration into OBSBOT Tail 4Kp60 “auto-director” smart camera and a 4Kp120 action camera.
AAEON has now launched BOXER-8410AI AI Edge fanless embedded box PC based on Hi3559A V100ES processor to add an alternative to its Intel and NVIDIA based AI edge PC‘s.
- SoC – Hisilicon Hi3559A V100(ES) (See product brief)
- CPU – Penta-core processor with 2x Arm Cortex A73 cores @ 1.8 GHz, 2x Arm Cortex A53 cores @ 1.2 GHz, 1x low power Arm Cortex A53 core @ 1.2 GHz
- GPU – Arm Mali-G71 MP2 GPU @ 900 MHz
- AI Accelerators – Quad-core DSP & dual-core NNIE
- MCU – Arm Cortex-M7 based Sensor Hub
- System Memory – 4GB/8GB DDR4
- Storage – 32GB/64GB eMMC flash, 1x SATA III port, MicroSD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0
- Audio – 1x Audio in jack, 1x Line out jack
- Connectivity – Dual Gigabit Ethernet (RJ45)
- USB – 1x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A port, 1x USB 2.0 Type-A port, 1x Micro USB type-B port for flashing firmware image
- Serial – 2x RS-232 DB9 port, 1x DB-9 console port
- Expansion – Internal headers for 2x USB 2.0 and 2x RS-232
- Misc – Power Button with LED indicator, internal reset and update buttons
- Power Supply – 12V DC-in x 1 via 2-pin terminal block; remote power On/Off
- Dimensions – 150 x 96 x 56 mm
- Weight – 500 grams
- Temperature Range – Operating: -20°C ~ 55°C according to IEC60068-2 with 0.5 m/s AirFlow); storage: -40°C ~ 80°C
- Storage Humidity – 5 ~ 95% @ 40°C, non-condensing
- Anti-Vibration – Random, 1Grm, 5 ~ 500Hz
- Certifications – CE/FCC class A
The embedded computer ships with wall-mount brackets, a screw package, and a 2-pin power connector. It runs HiLinux, a Linux distribution provided by Hisilicon, and the binary is downloadable from the product page. It’s close to impossible getting up-to-date source code for Hisilicon SoC’s, at least that was my experience a few years ago when I was asked to work on an IP camera, and they would not provide the SDK, nor answer questions, without an NDA or SLA.
A datasheet and a user manual are available for AAEON BOXER-8410AI AI edge embedded Box PC describing the hardware, and showing how to assemble accessories and flash the firmware. Somehow, it’s necessary to open the device to flash the firmware since the reset and update buttons need to be pressed… There’s no public documentation about using AI accelerators in the Hi3559A processor.
AAEON BOXER-8410AI AI edge embedded computer appears to be available now, but you’d need to request a quote to find out about pricing. More details, including some documentation, can be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
One Reply to “AI Edge Fanless Embedded Box PC is Powered by HiSilicon HI3559A Penta-Core 8K AI Camera SoC”
Really nice specs. That’s interesting to start to see ARM devices with 8GB of RAM. It is powerfull enough to work as an efficient woirkstation. Their SoCs are in mainline kernel, now G71 GPU is (beta) supported by Mesa, at least for desktop and few games.application acceleration, using panfrost driver. I would like to now if ther DSP (video/audio codec) and Security engine has true open source support, don’t really care about AI applications.