US-based Supermicro is known for its server products, but the company’s latest SuperServer SYS-E100-9W-H fanless embedded mini PC targets other applications, specifically industrial automation, retail kiosks, smart medical devices, and digital signage.
The mini PC is equipped with an Intel Core i7-8665UE Whiskey Lake Embedded processor coupled with up to 64GB DDR4 memory, and offers plenty of connectivity options with dual Gigabit Ethernet, eight USB ports, four serial ports, and dual video output with HDMI and DisplayPort.SuperServer SYS-E100-9W-H specification:
- SoC – Intel Core i7-8665UE quad-core/octa-thread Whiskey Lake Embedded processor @ 1.7 GHz (Base) / 4.4 GHz (Turbo) with Intel UHD Graphics 620; 15W TDP
- System Memory – 2x DIMM slots for up to 64GB DDR4-2400MHz (non-ECC)
- Storage – Support for M.2 NVMe/SATA SSD
- Video Output – HDMI and DisplayPort
- Audio – ALC 888S HD Audio codec, optional Mic-in/Line-Out
- Networking – Dual Gigabit Ethernet via Intel I210IT and Intel I219LM
- USB – 4x USB 3.1 Gen2 ports (Type A), 4x USB 2.0 (Type A)
- Serial – 4x DB9 COM ports: 2x RS232, 2x RS232/422/485, RS-485 supports auto flow control
- M.2 Key: B-Key, M-Key, E-Key
- M.2 2242/3042/2280 B-Key (1x USB 3.0/2.0, 1x SATA Gen3) with nano SIM holder
- 1x DIO via DB9
- Misc – Power button, power & HDD activity LED’s
- Power Supply – +12V ~ +24V DC input via lockable connector; 12V/60W power adapter provided
- Power Configurations
- ACPI Power Management
- Control of power-on for recovery from AC power loss
- Force Power On by Jumper
- CPU thermal trip support for processor protection
- Dimensions – 195 x 151 x 44 mm
- Weight – 1.2 kg
- Temperature Range – Operating: 0°C ~ 50°C; storage: -40°C ~ 70°C
- Relative Humidity – Operating: 8% to 90% (non-condensing); storage: 5% to 95% (non-condensing)
Supermicro only certified the mini PC with Windows 10, but looking at the OS compatibility matrix for X11SWN-H SBC used inside the mini PC, 64-bit Linux OS like Ubuntu 18.04/20.04, RedHat Enterprise Linux, and SuSE Linux should also be supported. The company also provides SuperDoctor 5 command-line or web-based interface for Windows and Linux operating systems to monitor the system and gets alerts via email or SNMP.
Most industrial embedded PCs are not easily procurable, but Supermicro SuperServer SYS-E100-9W-H fanless embedded mini PC is different, as it’s now sold on Amazon for $999.95. You’ll find a user manual, drivers, and list of tested M.2 SSD and memory on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.