I thought Selpic A-star 3D printer we recently covered was already small, but if you’re looking for an ultra-portable printer, it will be hard to beat the Arduino-based, open-source hardware Lite3DP resin 3D printer that can fit in the palm of your hand, and weighs just around 350 grams.
That also means a pretty small build volume of just 45.1 x 33.8 x 70 mm, so it’s really for small objects, and for instance, a typical Raspberry Pi case could not be printed. But let’s have a look.
Lite3DP printer’s key features and specifications:
- Electronics – All-in-one PCB with Arduino Pro Mini, a driver for the stepper motor, a module for a microSD card, and a screen with dual-functionality.
- Technology – MSLA // LCD-SLA
- Resolution – XY: 0.14 mm; Z: 0.05 and 0.1 mm
- Build volume (W x L x H) – 45.1 x 33.8 x 70 mm
- Tray volume – 50 cm³ for the liquid resin
- Compatible resins – All UV 405 nm resins (standard, industrial, flexible, castable, dental, etc.)
- Data input – micro SD card autonomous operation
- Misc- Buttons (up, down, esc., OK)
- Power Supply – 12V/1A
- Power consumption – Less than 4 W
- Dimensions – 100 x 100 x 150 mm
- Weight – 350 grams
This project is fully open-source and the software, Arduino firmware, hardware, 3D printing files, and user guide are available on the download section of Lite3DP website.
Apart from being the lightest and smallest 3D printer, Lite3DP is also the cheapest way to play with resin-based 3D printing. We previously covered Alfawise W10 resin SLA 3D printer, and Karl reviewed Anycubic Photon S where you can learn a few tricks about using this type of printer. Both models are over $300.
Lite3DP has recently launched on Crowd Supply with a symbolic $1 funding targets. Rewards start at $65 for the essential kit where you need to print the plastic parts yourself, buy the Arduino board and flash the firmware, so most people may prefer to pledge $89 to get a complete, easy-to-assemble kit. You’ll still need to add a MicroSD card and the resin. Shipping is free to the US, and $12 to $15 to the rest of the world depending on the selected reward. You’ll have to be patient as the printer is only expected to start shipping at the end of June 2021.