SmartBug is a smart switch based on ESP32 wireless SoC, equipped with several sensors to measure temperature, humidity, power usage, and listen to sounds. It is designed to fit neatly into most in-wall sockets found around the world.
Each SmartBug relies on mesh networking to communicate with each other and extend the range, WiFi for Internet connection, and Bluetooth low energy (BLE) to control additional devices without the need for any additional hub.
- MCU – 32-bit dual-core microcontroller with WiFi, wireless mesh, Bluetooth LE
- 2.4GHz WiFI 4
- Wireless mesh to let SmartBug act as a signal repeater
- Bluetooth 4.0 and BLE to control home appliances
- Digital microphone for voices commands, baby crying (only enable if the plugin is downloaded in the app).
- On-Off Relay up to 2200W, both AC and DC.
- Sensors – Temperature & humidity sensor, built-in power meter (current, voltage, and power)
- Misc – IR transmitter to control legacy appliances, touch sensor/button with short/long presses support, RGB LED
- Power Supply – A/C power 85V – 260V AC 50-60Hz
SmartBug did not mention which exact processor is used in the switch, but based on the specs it should be ESP32, as this was further confirmed by Espressif Systems.
The company shows how to install the switch into your in-wall socket in the video below, and it looks straightforward enough.
Once installation is complete, you’ll need to configure the SmartBug with the mobile app from the same name. It’s not available yet, but you’ll be able to install plugins (e.g. thermostat, TV, washing machine remote controls, child monitoring…), as well as dashlets for example to show the temperature and humidity from the sensor in the app. The platform will be open so additional plugins and dashlets can be added by developers.
After that, you’ll be able to control appliances connected to the relay, or wirelessly over Bluetooth, WiFi, or even infrared signals. You may not even need the app anymore, as the touch panel can recognize various gestures to allow you to turn on/off appliances, adjust the temperature of a thermostat up or down, and so on.
SmartBug smart switch has been on Kickstarter for a few weeks and with 8 days to go the company has raised over $25,000 so far, well over twice their funding goal. Rewards start at $47 for the SmartBug with the app and 12 plugins. Shipping adds from about $6 US to Hong Kong and up to $42 depending on the destination countries. Perks should start to ship in October 2021.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.