Compulab IOT-GATE-RPI4 is another industrial gateway based on the Raspberry Pi CM4 module that offers a different feature set and form factor compared to solutions like TECHBASE iModGATE-AI gateway or QWave Systems CatsPi Industrial carrier board.
Designed with industrial control and monitoring in mind, the IOT-GATE-RPI4 gateway offers multiple RS485, RS232 and CAN FD ports, Ethernet, 4G LTE/4G, WiFi 802.11ac, and Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity, as well as a wide -40°C to 80°C operating temperature range, plus a wide input voltage from 8V to 36V as well as PoE support.
- SoM – Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4) with
- SoC – Broadcom BCM2711 quad-core ARM Cortex-A72 @ 1.5GHz plus VideoCore IV GPU with H.265 (4Kp60 decode), H.264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
- System Memory – 1GB to 8GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 16GB to 128GB eMMC flash soldered on-board
- Secondary Storage – 64GB – 256GB NVMe flash via optional module
- Display Output – DVI-D up to 4Kp60
- Gigabit (1000Mbps) Ethernet port, RJ45 connector
- Fast (100Mbps) Ethernet port, RJ45 connector
- Optional 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth 5.0 BLE (on RPi CM4 module)
- Optional Cellular via mini PCIe socket + SIM card socket
- 4G/LTE CAT4 cellular module, Quectel EC25-E (EU bands)
- 4G/LTE CAT4 cellular module, Quectel EC25-A (US bands)
- 3x USB 2.0 Type-A ports
- 2x USB 3.0 Type-A ports via expansion add-on board (multiplexed for NVMe storage)
- Serial – Up-to 4x RS485 (half-duplex) | RS232 | CAN-FD ports; isolated, terminal-block connector
- Digital I/O – Up to 2x I/O modules each supporting 4x digital outputs + 4x digital inputs; isolated, terminal-block connector, compliant with EN 61131-2
- Debugging – 1x Micro USB port with UART-to-USB bridge
- Expansion – Expansion connector for add-on boards with PCIe, USB, SPI, GPIOs
- Security – Infineon SLB9670 TPM 2.0
- Misc – RTC + coin-cell battery, watchdog
- Power Supply
- Unregulated 8V to 36V via lockable connector
- Support for PoE (powered device)
- Power Consumption – 3W to 10W depending on system load and configuration
- Dimensions – 132 x 84 x 25 mm (Aluminum housing)
- Weight – 550 grams
- Compliance –
- Regulatory – CE, FCC
- EMC – EN 55032/5, EN 61000-6-2, EN 61000-6-3
- Safety – EN/UL/IEC 62368-1
- MTTF (Mean Time To Failure) – > 200,000 hours
- Temperature Range
- Commercial: 0° to 60° C
- Extended: -20° to 60° C
- Industrial: -40° to 80° C
- Storage: -40° to 85° C
- Relative Humidity – Operating: 10% to 90%; storage: 5% to 95%
As a side note, I think it’s the first time I see MTTF (Mean Time to Failure), as MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) is more common, and at first, I assumed they would be interchangeable. But Limble CMMS has a good article and charts explaining the differences between MTTF, MTFB, and MTTR (Mean Time to Repair).
CompuLab IOT-GATE-RPI4 sells for $134 in its minimal configuration, and if you check out the product page you can get a rough guide of how much each option would cost, as well as price adjustments depending on volume. Compulab is one of the rare embedded/industrial companies that offer transparent, public pricing information. The company also offers a $595 evaluation kit with IOTG-RPI4-D4-NA32-WB-JEC25x-FARS4-FBCAN-POE-PS-XL-TIC hardware meaning: IOT-GATE-RPI4 with 4GB RAM, 32GB storage, WiFi & Bluetooth, 4G LTE, RS485 ports, CAN-FD bus, PoE, a 12V PSU, pre-loaded with “Raspbian” OS, and industrial certified temperature range. The kit also includes several accessories, plus 45 days of technical support.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
One Reply to “CompuLab IOT-GATE-RPI4 gateway targets industrial control and monitoring”
Will these devices also see the same supply caused increase of cost that has made RPI price rise?