We’ve seen plenty of Amlogic S-series TV boxes and SBCs over the years, but Amlogic also manufacturer T-series SoCs designed for televisions. Since there are relatively few TV manufacturers compared to TV boxes or board manufacturers we seldom read about those.
But a few years ago, we noticed a TV box based on Amlogic T962E quad-core Cortex-A53 processor offering both HDMI input and output ports, and now Shenzhen Tomao just informed me they were offering an Amlogic T972 multimedia network SBC for digital signage applications with multiple HDMI inputs and a V-By-One display interface with support for up to 4K resolutions.
- SoC – Amlogic T972 (or T962X2) quad-core Arm Cortex-A55 processor @ 1.98 GHz with Arm Mali-G31 MP2 GPU with support for OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.1 and OpenCL 2.0
- System memory – 2GB or 4GB DDR4
- Storage – 16GB eMMC flash, MicroSD card socket
- Display I/F
- 40-pin 2.0mm pitch 8-/10-bit LVDS connector up to 1080p resolution
- V-By-One connector up to 4K resolution
- TP header, backlight header
- Video Inputs – 3x HDMI inputs, AV input
- Audio – 3.5mm headphone jack, 4-pin header for 10W8Ω stereo speakers, I2S header, PDM header
- 10/100M Ethernet RJ45 port
- 2.4 GHz WiFi 4 & Bluetooth (optional dual-band WiFi, Ampak AP6256 as on photo)
- Optional 4G LTE modem via mPCIe socket + SIM card slot
- USB- 2x USB Type-A host ports, 3x USB interfaces via headers, including one OTG port
- 1x mini PCIe socket
- 4x UART headers
- Misc – IR receiver, RTC + battery backup
- Power Supply
- 12V input via DC power jack or 4-pin header
- 5V header likely output
- Dimensions – 160 x 115 mm
So it’s basically a board for TVs, and the company provides Android 9.0 operating system. Amlogic T972 also happens to power Xiaomi Mi TV 5 and Mi TV 5 Pro 4K televisions.
Since Shenzhen Tomato does not usually design boards themselves but works with other manufacturers, I tried to find other suppliers of the board, but no luck so far. Otherwise, I noticed Geniatech Developer Board 7+ is also based on the same Amlogic T972 processor with a choice of LVDS or V-by-One interfaces, optional tuner and 4G LTE module, with pricing starting at $99.
There’s also a vendor on Alibaba offering a projector board based on the quad-core Cortex-A55 processor. Note that the Amlogic T972 processor supports 8Kp24 10bit H.265/VP9 decoding
4Kp60 AVS2 decoding, and 4Kp30 H.264 decoding, meaning there’s no AV1 video decoding, and in that respect, it makes it equivalent to the Amlogic S905X3 SoC for TV boxes.
You’ll find a few more details about the Shenzhen Tomao board on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.