Portwell PCOM-B657VGL joins other COM Express and COM HPC modules based on Intel Tiger Lake-H Xeon, Core, and Celeron embeddded processors such as ADLINK Express-TL and Congatec conga-HPC/cTLH.
Just like its competitors, the Portwell COM Express Type 6 Basic module offers 8K video output, PCIe x16 Gen 4, up to 64GB DDR4, USB 3.2 Gen 2, and 2.5GbE networking for a wide range of higher-end embedded applications such as industrial automation, medical equipment, graphics-intensive applications, and artificial intelligence.
- SoC (one or the other)
- General Embedded
- Intel Celeron 6600HE dual-core processor @ 2.6GHz with 8MB L3 Cache, 16EU Intel UHD graphics, 35W TDP
- Intel Core i3-11100HE processor with 4 cores / 8 threads @ 2.4GHz (up to 4.4GHz in Turbo Boost) with 8MB L3 Cache, 16EU Intel UHD graphics, 45/35W cTDP
- Intel Core i5-11500HE processor with 6 cores / 12 threads @ 2.6GHz (up to 4.1GHz in Turbo Boost), 12MB L3 Cache, 45/35W cTDP
- Intel Core i7-11850HE processor with 8 cores / 16 threads @ 2.6GHz (up to 4.2GHz in Turbo Boost), 24MB Cache L3, 32EU Intel UHD graphics, 45/35W cTDP
- Industrial 35/35W
- Intel Xeon W-11155MRE processor with 4 cores / 8 threads @ 2.4GHz (up to 4.0GHz in Turbo Boost), 8MB L3 Cache, 16EU Intel UHD graphics, ECC and TCC/TSN, 45/35W cTDP – Industrial (w/ Turbo OFF)
- Intel Xeon W-11555MRE processor with 6 cores / 12 threads @ 2.6GHz (up to 4.1GHz in Turbo Boost), 12MB L3 Cache, 32EU Intel UHD graphics, ECC, TCC/TSN and Functional Safety (FuSa), 45/35W cTDP – Industrial (w/ Turbo OFF)
- Intel Xeon W-11865MRE processor with 8 cores / 16 threads @ 2.6GHz (up to 4.2GHz in Turbo Boost), 24MB L3 Cache, 32EU Intel UHD graphics, ECC, TCC/TSN and Functional Safety (FuSa), 45/35W cTDP – Industrial (w/ Turbo OFF)
- Industrial 25W
- Intel Xeon W-11155MLE processor with 4 cores / 8 threads @ 1.8GHz (up to 3.1GHz in Turbo Boost), 24MB L3 Cache, with ECC and TCC/TSN, 25W TDP
- Intel Xeon vPRO W-11555MLE processor with 6 cores / 12 threads @ 1.9GHz (up to 4.4GHz in Turbo Boost), 24MB L3 Cache, with ECC and TCC/TSN, 25W TDP
- Intel Xeon vPRO W-11865MLE processor with 8 cores / 16 threads @ 1.5GHz (up to 4.5GHz in Turbo Boost), 24MB L3 Cache, with ECC and TCC/TSN, 25W TDP
- General Embedded
- DirectX 11/12, Open GL 4.5, OpenCL 2.1
- System Memory – 2x DDR4 SO-DIMM 3200MT/s up to 2x 32GB
- Storage – SPI flash for AMI BIOS
- HW Encoding – One VEBox: H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, JPEG, VP9
- HW Decoding – Two VDBoxes: H.264/AVC, VP9, H.265/HEVC, AV1, VC1, MPEG2, JPEG/MPEG, MPEG2
- 2x board-to-board connectors with
- Storage – 4x SATA III, PCIe storage (See PCI Express section)
- Video – Four Independent Displays: 3x DDI, eDP/LVDS, VGA
- Networking – 2.5GbE with TSN
- USB – 4x USB 3.2 Gen 2 (Port 0~3), 8x USB 2.0 (Port 0~7)
- PEG – 1x PCIe Gen 4 x16 (can be configured to 1 x16, 2 x8 or 1 x8 + 2 x4)
- PCI Express – 8x PCIe Gen 3 x1 (can be configured to 8 x1, 4 x1 + 1 x4, or 2 x4); support Intel RST for PCIe Storage for both x4 Link
- 8x GPIO, I2C, SMBus, UART
- Security – TPM 2.0 (Infineon SLB9670), Intel® AES-NI, Intel® SHA Extensions, Intel® DAL
- Supply Voltage – 12V DC AT/ATX mode via 4-pin header
- Dimensions – 125 x 95 mm (COM Express Type 6 Basic Module)
- Temperature Range
- Storage – -20°C to 85°C
- 0°C to 60°C (General Embedded SKU)
- 0°C to 60°C (Industrial 25W SKU)
- -40°C to +85°C (Industrial 45W/35W SKU)
- Certification – TBC
The company offers support for Windows 10, Ubuntu, CentOS, and the Yocto Project for the module. It’s the first module I’ve written about that advertises the 25W MLE processors, although I’d assume others could provide this. Strangely the 25W modules only support 0°C to 60°C temperature range, while the 35W/45W can operate in a wider -40°C to +85°C. Usually, the industrial temperature range requires processors with a lower frequency, but it seems to be the opposite, maybe it is just because of the extra legroom enabled by the higher TDP.
Portwell can also provide the COM-C60B ATX carrier board for COM Express Type 6 modules to allow customers to get started with development as early as possible.
While the carrier board has been around for a while, all variants of the Portwell PCOM-B657VGL COM Express Tiger Lake-H module are still shown as being “in development” in the datasheet. You can find addtional information on the product page, as well as request a quote or an evaluation sample.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.