SolidRun has launched the LX2-Lite SOM based on NXP Layerscape LX2-Lite SoC with up to 16 Arm Cortex-A72 cores, together with ClearFog LX2-Lite development platform equipped with two SFP28 cages up to 25Gbps each, two SFP+ cage up to 10Gbps each, and eight Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 ports for networking applications.
With a footprint measuring just 58 x 48mm, or about 25% the size of a standard COM Express 7 module, the company claims the LX2-Lite Mini SOM, based on LX2162A, is the smallest 16-core SOM platform in the world, and the module and development board target high-performance SD-WAN, network security, and industrial control solutions.
- SoC (one of the other)
- NXP Layerscape LX2082A with 8x Cortex A72 cores @ 2.0 GHz
- NXP Layerscape LX2122A with 12x Cortex A72 cores @ 2.0 GHz
- NXP Layerscape LX2162A with 16x Cortex A72 cores @ 2.0 GHz
- System Memory – Up to 32GB DDR4 (single channel); Note: dual-channel 64GB RAM is available upon request
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash, 8MB SPI flash
- 3x Hirose DF40 board-to-board connectors with
- Storage – SD, PCIe-SSD, up to 4x SATA ports (Configurable SD2 SERDESs), 1x SD/MMC
- 4x 25 GbE or 1x 100 GbE
- 4x 10GbE w/ built in PHY
- Up to 8x Gigabit Ethernet with Sync-E, 1588-V2 support (Configurable SD2 SERDESs)
- USB – 1x USB 3.0
- PCIe – Up to 8x PCIe Gen 3.0 via 2 controllers (Configurable SD2 SERDESs)
- Low-speed I/Os – 4x I2C, 2x UART, GPIO
- Debugging – JTAG
- I/O voltage – 3.3V/1.8V
- Supply Voltage – 12V
- Dimensions – 55 x 48 mm
- Temperature – 0°C to 70°C
- Humidity – 10% – 90% (non-condensing)
Software-wise, the module supports Linux, DPDK (Data Plane Development Kit), UEFI, and NXP Layerscape Secure Boot. Debian, Ubuntu, and Yocto-built Linux operating systems can run on the platform. With the launch of LX2-Lite SOM, we now have more details including hardware and software documentation.
The module was previously introduced in August 2021 as the SolidRun LX2162A SOM, as a more compact and cost-optimized version of the company’s COM Express Type 7 computer-on-module based on NXP LX2160A 16-core Arm Cortex A72 communication processor with the differences between the two summarized in the table below.
The ClearFog LX2-Lite is the cost-down version of the ClearFox CX-LX2K networking SBC replacing the LX2160A SOM with the new LX2162A LX2-Lite SOM, and trimming out some ports.
Key features of ClearFog LX2-Lite:
- Supported SOM – LX2-Lite SOM
- Storage – MicroSD card for initial boot
- 2x SFP+ cages (25GbE each)
- 2x SFP+ cages (up to 10GbE each)
- 8x RJ45 ports (1GbE each)
- Optional mPCIe wireless modules plus SIM card socket for 4G LTE, 5G, WiFi 6
- Micro USB debugging port
- Mini USB to STM32 for remote management
- 1x USB 3.0 port
- Expansion – GPIO header, 2x mPCIe sockets
- Misc – Optional RunBMC compliant socket, reset and power button, RTC+battery
- Power – 12V via DC jack or ATX power connector
- Dimensions – 170 x 137mm
While pricing for the SOM has not been determined or made public yet, the ClearFog LX2-Lite development platform is available now for $870 with 8GB RAM and $1,197 with 32GB RAM. Both kits ship with the ClearFog LX2162A carrier board, LX2162A SOM, a 12V/1.5A power adapter, a 16GB MicroSD card as well as a heatsink and fan
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.