RAKwireless Wisblock modular IoT prototyping system will get new modules about once every quarter and the latest Wisblock Summer 2022 event brings some RAK190xx base boards and power modules to support various power sources from solar panels to PoE, two IP65-rated “Unify” enclosures, as well as four new Wisblock sensor modules.
Wisblock RAK190XX base boards and power modules
The company has launched three base boards designed to take one of the five Wisblock power modules:
- RAK19009 – A small (47×30 mm) base board with only 2 sensor slots.
- RAK19010 – The “standard” base board with 4 sensor slots and 1 I/O slot
- RAK19011 – Version of the Dual IO base board with a power slot
- RAK19012 – WisBlock power module with USB, battery, and solar panel supply
- RAK19013 – WisBlock power module for rechargeable batteries and solar panel supply without the USB, for applications where you do not want to give users access to the device’s firmware.
- RAK19015 – WisBlock power module optimized for non-rechargeable batteries without the USB connector, for applications that want to use a non-rechargeable battery.
- RAK19016 – WisBlock power module with a wide 5 to 24 V DC input voltage, best suited for industrial and agriculture applications
- RAK19018 – WisBlock PoE Module for RAK13800 WisBlock Ethernet board. It is based on Silvertel Ag9905MT converter board and compatible with the 802.3af PoE standard.
This will enable the quick design of IoT prototypes using Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, LoRaWAN, etc.. with a range of power options. Prices range from $5 for the battery power slot module to $18.90 for the PoE module.
WisBlock Unify Enclosures
Many IoT projects are placed outdoors or in challenging industrial environments and as a result, require protection against rain, dust, or fire for instance. That’s why RAKwireless has also launched two dust and waterproof IP65 cases which they called the “Unify Enclosures”, and are compatible with Wisblock prototypes.
The RAKBox-UO100x75x38 “Unify” enclosure is a small outdoor IP65 waterproof fire-retardant plastic enclosure especially suited to the RAK5005-O and RAK19003 base boards with matching mounting plates for both, as well as accessories for wall and pole mount.
The RAKBox-UO150x100x45 is pretty similar but medium-sized with plenty of space for a bigger base board such as RAK19001 and more. Both models are available in white or grey, and offered with optional wall or pole mounting kits. The small enclosure is sold for $29, and the medium one for $39.
Four new Wisblock sensor modules
The Wisblock Q3 2022 announcement also includes four new sensor modules:
- RAK12033 – 6-axis accelerometer module based on TDK InvenSense IIM-42652
- RAK12034 – 9-axis accelerometer module based on Bosch BMX160
- RAK12047 – Indoor air quality sensor based on the Sensirion SGP40 sensor that we previously found in Exo Sense RP Raspberry Pi RP2040-based multi-sensor module
- RAK16002 – Coulomb sensor based on the Analog Devices LTC2941, and designed to measure battery charge state in battery-supplied handheld PCs and portable product applications. It’s especially well-suited for single-cell Li-Ion batteries.
You’ll find more details are purchase links on RAKwireless’ store.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.