Variscite VAR-SOM-MX93 is a 200-pin SO-DIMM system-on-module based on NXP i.MX 93 dual-core Cortex-A55/M33 AI processor with up to 2 GB LPDDR4 RAM, 64GB eMMC flash, and onboard WiFi & Bluetooth module and audio driver.
The Variscite module follows the announcement of two other NXP i.MX 93 system-on-modules, namely the Forlinx FET-MX9352-C with board-to-board connectors and the iWave Systems iW-RainboW-G50M LGA module compliant with OSM Size L form factor to be soldered directly on the carrier board.
- SoC – NXP i.MX 93 with up to 2x Cortex-A55 cores @ 1.7GHz, 1x Cortex-M33 real-time co-processor @ 250 MHz, 0.5 TOPS NPU, 2D PxP graphics engine
- System Memory – 512MB to 2GB LPDDR4
- Storage – 8 to 64GB eMMC flash, 4KB EEPROM
- Ethernet – ADIN1300 Gigabit Ethernet PHY
- Wireless module
- Single-band 802.11 b/g/n WiFi 4 or dual-band 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n WiFi 5
- Bluetooth 5.2 classic + LE
- Audio – Unnamed Audio codec
- Carrier board interface – 200-pin SO-DIMM “VAR-SOM Pin2Pin” connector with
- Storage – SD/MMC
- Parallel RGB up to 1366x768p60 or 1280x800p60
- MIPI DSI up to 1920×1200 (24-bit)
- LVDS up to 1366x768p60 or 1280x800p60
- Resistive or capacitive touch controller supported
- Audio – Headphone, digital microphone, analog stereo microphone, 3x I2S (SAI), S/PDIF Rx/Tx, 4-channel PDM
- Camera I/F – MIPI CSI2, ISI (Parallel)
- Networking – 2x Gigabit Ethernet
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 OTG
- Low speed interfaces – Up to 4x UART up to 5 Mbps, 5x I2C, 3x SPI, 2x CAN Bus
- Analog – 4x ADC
- RTC support on-carrier
- Debugging – JTAG
- Power management
- Built-in PMIC
- Supply voltage – 3.3V or 3.4-5V
- Dimensions – 67.8 x 33mm
- Temperature range
- Commercial: 0 to 70°C
- Extended: -25 to 85°C
- Industrial: -40 to 85°C
- Storage: -40 to 85°C
- Humidity – 5% to 95%
The new module is pin-to-pin compatible with earlier “VAR-SOM Pin2Pin” modules based on NXP i.MX 6 or i.MX 8 processors. Variscite provides Linux support with Yocto, Debian, and Boot2Qt for the Cortex-A55 core(s), and FreeRTOS for the Cortex-M33 real-time core. You should eventually find more details about the software in the wiki, but it’s currently under construction with very limited information.
The company also offers the VAR-SOM-MX93 Evaluation kit based on the Symphony carrier board with an LVDS interface, capacitive and resistive touch panel interfaces, dual Gigabit Ethernet, two audio jacks, on-board digital microphone, CAN Bus, microSD card socket, and so on. A 7-inch WVGA display with a capacitive touchscreen is available as an option.
Variscite did not provide pricing information for the SoM and the development kit but like other NXP i.MX 93 system-on-modules, the VAR-SOM-MX93 SO-DIMM module will be available for at least 15 years, that is to say until 2038. More details may be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.