EDATEC CM4 Industrial is both a Raspberry Pi CM4 carrier board and a computer for industrial IoT, control, and automation that expands on the company’s CM4 Sensing and CM4 Nano solutions with more features and interfaces.
The system notably offers two RS485, one RS232, three analog inputs, two digital inputs, and one relay output through terminal blocks, as well as optional WiFi, Bluetooth, and 4G LTE + GPS connectivity, and a wide DC voltage range of 8V to 36V.
EDATEC CM4 Industrial specifications:
- SoM – Raspberry Pi CM4 module with
- SoC – Broadcom BCM2711 quad-core Arm Cortex-A72 processor @ 1.5GHz with VideoCore Vi GPU supporting OpenGLES 3.1, Vulkan 1.x, H.265 (HEVC) (up to 4Kp60 decode), H.264 (up to 1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
- System Memory – 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, or 8GB LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM
- Optional 8GB/16GB/32GB eMMC flash for system boot
- MicroSD card slot for booting the system on a Raspberry Pi CM4 Lite module
- Optional wireless module (see Networking section)
- Display I/F
- 1x HDMI 2.0 Type-A video output up to 4Kp60
- 1x FPC HDMI touch display I/F
- 1x FPC MIPI DSI touch display I/F
- Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 port with PoE support (when using the Raspberry Pi PoE/PoE+ HAT)
- 10/100M Ethernet RJ45 port
- Optional Dual-band 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi 5 and Bluetooth 5.0 BLE with external WiFi antenna (on CM4 SoM)
- Optional 4G LTE cellular connectivity with optional GPS support, Nano-SIM card slot, and external antenna
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 Type-A ports, 1x internal micro USB port for flashing the eMMC flash, 2x USB 2.0 interfaces via 4-pin headers
- Industrial communication and I/Os interfaces
- 2x RS485 interfaces via, 6-pin terminal block
- 1x RS232 interface via 3-pin terminal block
- 3x 12-bit ADC via 4-pin terminal block
- 2x Isolated digital input, supporting Dry or Wet contacts
- 1x SPDT Relay through 6-pin terminal block
- 1x mini PCIe slot with 1-lane PCIe and 1x USB 2.0 (for 4G LTE module)
- 1x 40-pin Raspberry Pi GPIO header
- 1x serial (TTL) interface via 4-pin header
- 1x non-isolated IO via, 2-pin header
- Misc – RTC with CR1220 battery backup, buzzer, LEDs for Power, Status, and 4G network
- Power Supply – 8 to 36V DC (V1.4 board) or 8 to 18V DC (V1.3 board) via DC Jack or optional 2-pin terminal block
- Dimensions – 147 x 119 x 28 mm (Metal case)
- Temperature Range – 0 to 50°C or -25 to 50°C
EDATEC offers DIN Rail and Wall mount options for the system with the enclosure. The eMMC models ship with a custom version of the 32-bit version of the Raspberry Pi OS (Desktop), but the company also offers Raspberry Pi OS 32-bit/64-bit Desktop or Lite version. Alternatively, you can also install the stock Raspberry Pi OS image and manually installed the BSP with apt in order to support specific features:
curl -sS https://apt.edatec.cn/pubkey.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb https://apt.edatec.cn/raspbian stable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/edatec.list
sudo apt update
sudo apt install ed-cm4ind-rev1p3-bsp ed-rtc
You’ll find further technical details on the documentation website.
It looks like the CM4 Industrial has been around for a few years since the product page’s URL is dated from 2019, but there have been several revisions of the board, and currently, only V1.3 and V1.4 should be for sale. Just like with the earlier EDATEC boards, there are many variants due to the combination of options, and the diagram below explains how to decode a specific part number.
The EDATEC CM4 Industrial carrier board (CM4IND) can be purchased on Aliexpress for $93.30 without any module, and $136.28 with the CM4IND and a Raspberry Pi CM4 1GB/8GB module. The 4G module is offered as an option for $40.73. The Aliexpress seller does not use the nomenclature above, and all photos are for the V1.1 board, so you may want to have a chat with the seller to make sure they’ll send the latest V1.4 board, and not some old stock.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.