SDMC DV9286 is an 8K TV box for operators running Android 13 TV OS on an Amlogic S928X penta-core Cortex-A76/A55 processor with 4GB to 8GB RAM, WiFi 6E and Bluetooth 5.2 connectivity, an HDMI 2.1a port, and 8K AV1, H.265, VP9 video decoding support.
We had started to see 8K TV boxes based on the Amlogic S928X processor at IBC 2022 last September, but with few details. SDMC DV9286 announcement brings a few more details such as the GPU used in S928X and which version of Android will be used.
SDMC DV9286 (preliminary) specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S928X penta-core processor with 1x Cortex-A76 core, 4x Cortex-A55 cores, Arm Mali-G57 MC2 GPU; 12nm process
- System Memory – 4GB LPDDR4 (up to 8GB option)
- Storage – 32GB eMMC flash
- Video Output – HDMI 2.1a up to 8Kp60 with HDCP2.2/2.3, HDR 10, HLG, HDR10+, Dolby Vision (optional), and HDMI 2.1-specific features such as eARC, VRR, QMS, QFT, ALLM, DSC & SBTM
- Video Codecs
- 8K H.265, AV1, VP9, AVS3/AVS2 60fps 10-bit video decoder
- Low-latency 4K H.265/H.264 60fps encoder
- Audio – SPDIF and HDMI audio outputs
- Ethernet RJ45 port
- Tri-band WiFi 6E 2×2 MIMO and Bluetooth 5.2
- USB – 2x USB ports
- DRM – Widevine, Playready
- Power Supply – TBD
- Dimensions – 112 x 112 x 38mm
SDMC will provide Android 13 or higher with either Android TV standard or Operator Tier Launcher for the 8K TV box. The device is Netflix compliant subject to Netflix/operator certification, and compatible with Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, YouTube, etc… It also works with Google solutions such as the Google Play store, Google Assistant for voice control, and Chromecast. SDMC provides its own Terminal Management System (TMS) to help manage terminal devices remotely for OTT and IPTV deployments.
We did not have information about the GPU last year, but we now know that Amlogic S928X devices won’t be the most powerful gaming machines as the Mali-G57 MC2 GPU will not reach the 3D graphics of the Arm Mali-G610 MP4 GPU found in the Rockchip RK3588 processor. It should be good enough for complex 3D user interfaces and many (casual) Android games.
We don’t have availability information, but SDMC will be showcasing the DV9286 at MWC 2023 in Barcelona on February 27-March 3 along with other products such as a Wi-Fi 7 mesh router, a WiFi 6 router, and various 4K TV boxes, as well as software solutions with XMediaTV IPTV/OTT platform and XHome IoT platform for remote management of devices. A few more details may be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.