Firefly EC-A3588Q is a fanless 8K AI embedded computer powered by a Rockchip RK3588 processor and fitted with up to 32GB RAM, SATA or NVMe storage, offering dual Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi 6, Bluetooth 5.0, and optional 5G/4G cellular connectivity, dual 8K video outputs, etc…
It is a higher-end and larger version of the Firefly EC-R3588SPC industrial mini PC based on the Rockchip RK3588S processor that adds a 4K HDMI input port, a VGA output port, gets two GbE interfaces and support for WiFi 6/Bt 5.0, offers more USB ports, and replaces some terminal blocks with DB9 interfaces for RS232, RS485, and CAN Bus interfaces.
Firefly EC-Q3588Q specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3588 octa-core processor with
- CPU – 4x Cortex-A76 cores @ up to 2.4 GHz, four Cortex-A55 cores @ up to 1.8 GHz
- GPU – Arm Mali-G610 MP4 quad-core GPU with OpenGL ES3.2 / OpenCL 2.2 / Vulkan1.1 support
- AI accelerator – 6 TOPS NPU
- VPU – 8Kp60 H.265/VP9/AVS2 video decoder, 4Kp60 AV1 decoder, 8Kp30 H.265/H.264 video encoder
- System Memory – 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB LPDDR4/LPDDR4x/LPDDR5
- 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, or 256GB eMMC flash
- M.2 socket for M.2 2242 SATA SSD or NVMe PCIe SSD
- MicroSD card slot
- Video Output
- HDMI 2.1 port up to 8Kp60 or 4Kp120
- DisplayPort 1.4 up to 8Kp30 via USB-C port
- VGA up to 1080p60
- Up to three independent displays
- Video Input – HDMI input up to 4Kp60 with HDCP 2.3 support
- 3.5mm headphone jack
- 3.5mm microphone jack
- Digital audio output via HDMI and DP ports
- 2x Gigabit Ethernet RJ45 ports
- Optional dual-band WiFi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0
- Optional 5G/4G LTE module with external antennas
- USB – 4x USB 3.1 Type-A ports, 1x USB 3.0 OTG Type-C port with DP 1.4
- Serial – 2x RS232, 1x RS485, 1x CAN Bus
- Power Supply – 12V DC input via 5.5×2.1mm DC jack
- Dimensions – 182.5 x 150 x 66.5 mm
- Weight – Around 1.77 kg
- Temperature Range – Operating: -20°C to 60°C; storage: -20°C to 70°C
- Humidity – 40% to 70 % (storage)
Firefly will provide Android 12.0, Ubuntu (Desktop and Server), Debian 11, Buildroot, and RTLinux support for the EC-Q3588Q which can be used as an Arm PC, an AI Edge computer, an IoT
gateway, a cloud terminal, an automotive computer, or an industrial automation controller.
Firefly did not provide availability and pricing information, and the Wiki and Download pages are not ready yet, but for reference, the earlier EC-RK3588SPC embedded computer start at around $330 with 4GB RAM and 32GB flash, and the new Firefly EC-Q3588Q should cost a bit more than that in an equivalent configuration, probably closer to $400. Additional information may be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
3 Replies to “8K AI embedded computer gets 4K HDMI input, WiFi 6, dual GbE interfaces, and more”
Looks rather better value than the just-announced Planet Computers XR2 – or am I missing something?
That’s a nice port selection. I specifically like the dual Ethernet, separate microphone and headphone jacks, Wi-Fi connectors, HDMI input, and SD card slot. This thing could easily be repurposed until it dies.
Unfortunately, Rockchip still not provides access to their TF-A source code, so hard to implement full secure device. It’s a pity since many other processors are supported, including Rockchip ones…