AAEON’s UP Squared Pro 7000 Edge fanless mini PC is powered by a choice of Alder Lake-N SoCs from the Processor N50 up to the Intel Core i3-N305 octa-core processor and designed for IoT, automation, robotics, and industrial applications.
The system is based on the UP Squared Pro 7000 4-inch SBC and ships up to 16GB LPDDR5, up to 64GB eMMC flash, and supports triple display setups with HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB-C ports. Network connectivity includes two 2.5GbE ports and optional WiFi/Bluetooth and/or 5G/4G cellular modules M.2 expansion slots.
UP Squared Pro 7000 Edge mini PC specifications:
- Alder Lake-N SoC (one or the other)
- Intel Core i3-N305 octa-core processor up to 3.8 GHz with 6MB cache, 32EU Intel UHD Graphics Gen 12 @ 1.25 GHz; TDP: 15W
- Intel Atom x7425E quad-core processor up to 3.4 GHz with 6MB cache, 24EU Intel UHD Graphics Gen 12 @ 1.0 GHz; TDP: 12W
- Intel Processor N97 quad-core processor up to 3.6 GHz with 6MB cache, 24EU Intel UHD Graphics Gen 12 @ 1.2 GHz; TDP: 12W
- Intel Processor N50 dual-core processor up to 3.4 GHz with 6MB cache, 16EU Intel UHD Graphics Gen 12 @ 750 MHz; TDP: 6W
- System Memory – 4GB to 16GB LPDDR5
- 32GB or 64GB eMMC flash
- 1x SATA 3.0 port
- 256Mbit flash for BIOS/UEFI
- Video Output
- 1x HDMI 2.0b
- 1x DisplayPort 1.2
- 1x DisplayPort 1.4a via USB Type-C port
- Support for 3x independent displays
- Camera I/F – MIPI CSI via 61-pin FPC connector
- Audio – 3.5mm audio jack with Mic-in+Line-out
- 2x 2.5GbE RJ45 ports via Intel i225/i226-IT controllers
- Optional WiFi and Bluetooth via M.2 2230 E-Key socket
- Optional 4G/5G via M.2 3052 B-Key socket plus SIM card slot
- 2x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports
- 1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C ports
- Serial – 2x RS-232/422/485 DB9 connectors
- 40-pin GPIO female header via Lattice MachXO2 CPLD/FPGA
- 1x M.2 2230 E-key socket (CNVi, PCIe Gen 3 x1, USB 2.0)
- 1x M.2 2280 M-key socket (PCIe Gen 3 x2, USB 2.0)
- 1x M.2 3052 B-key socket (USB 3.2 Gen 2 only)
- Security – Onboard TPM 2.0
- Misc – Power button, RTC, Wake-on-LAN (WoL), PXE, Watchdog Timer
- Power Supply – 12V DC-in, 6A
- Power Consumption (Typical) – 35W
- Dimensions – 134 x 105 x 65 mm
- Weight – 950 grams
- Temperature Range – 0°C ~ 60°C with 0.5m/s airflow
- Humidity – 0% ~ 90% relative humidity, non-condensing
- MTBF – 422,053 hours
- Certifications – CE/FCC Class A, RoHS Compliant, REACH
The mini PC supports VESA mounting, and AAEON and the UP Community provide support for Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, Windows IoT Core, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, and Yocto 4.0. The M.2 sockets can be used for storage and wireless connectivity as noted in the specifications, but also to add an AI accelerator such as the Hailo-8 module.
To get an idea of performance, you can check Ian’s review of a Core i3-N305 mini PC (Weibu N10), but note the Weibu device is an actively-cooled system, while AAEON claims the UP Squared Pro 7000 Edge is the world’s first fanless mini PC based on the Intel Core i3-N305 processor.
I failed to find the UP Squared Pro 7000 Edge on AAEON’s e-shop, but I was told all UP boards and mini PCs are sold through the UP shop, and indeed the mini PC is up for pre-order starting at $339 ex. VAT for the Celeron N50/4GB/32GB module, and up to $589.00 for the UP Squared Pro 7000 Edge fanless mini PC with an Intel Core i3-N305 processor, 16GB LPDDR5, and 64GB eMMC flash. What’s unclear is when the mini PC will ship as the checkout process shows “Schedule TBD”. AAEON guarantees a long-term supply of the mini PC for at least until 2038. If you prefer getting the SBC, it is now available for $249 to $499 depending on the configuration. More details, including a datasheet and a user manual, can be found on the product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.