The Amlogic S905X5 may be first the Armv9 processor designed for set-top boxes (STB) and TV boxes, supports the latest AV1 and H.266 video codecs, and also comes with a 4 TOPS AI accelerator.
We don’t have the full details yet, and the news comes from a tease from SEI Robotics which is about to unveil an Amlogic S905X5 AI-SR (AI Super Resolution) Android TV box at IBC 2023.
Preliminary specifications for S905X5 SoC and SEI Robotics TV box:
- SoC – Amlogic S905X5
- CPU – Quad-core Armv9 CPU (likely Cortex-A510 cores) delivering 40K+ DMIPS
- GPU – Arm Mali-G310 V5 entry-level GPU clocked at 1 GHz for 4K HDR user interfaces
- VPU – Up to 2x 4Kp60 10-bit H.266/VCC and AV1 video codecs, and the usual VP9, AVS3, H.265/HEVC, H.264
- AI accelerator – 4 TOPS NPU enabling AI-SR
- Process – “Second generation” 6 nm process
- System Memory & Storage – TBD
- Video Output – HDMI 2.1 up to 4Kp60 with eARC (enhanced audio return channel), VRR (Variable Refresh Rate), QMS (Quick Media Switching)
- Audio – Support for Dolby, Dolby Atmos
- Networking – Ethernet port, likely WiFi and Bluetooth
- USB – 2x USB Type-A ports, 1x USB Type-C port
AI-SR (AI super-resolution) is just an upscaling method that leverages artificial intelligence to deliver a better image quality. For example, you can stream a 1080p60 video stream on a 4K TV close to the quality of a 4K video streaming providing the AI-SR upscaling works as expected.
It’s nice to see one of the first entry-level Armv9 processors soon come to market and it boasts some relatively uncommon features such as H.266 and Ai-SR. SEI Robotics did not say when the new Amlogic S905X5 “Ai-SR” Android TV box will come to market but I suspect that will be a 2024 story.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.