However, if you’d need a device to get started with your own project as soon as possible, for example, to work on AV1 hardware decoding implementation, SEI Robotics has launched an Amlogic S905X4 developer kit for Android TV & RDK development under their DroidLogic brand. The devkit looks like a standard TV box, and the company also provides a choice of tuners with DVB-S2, DVB-T2/C, DVB-S2+DVB-T2/C Combo, ISTB-T, or ATSC-T.
DroidLogic Amlogic S905X4 developer kit specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S905X4 quad-core Cortex-A55 processor with Arm Mali-G31MP2 GPU (Amlogic S905X3 as option)
- System Memory – 2GB DDR4
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash
- Video Output – HDMI 2.1 up to 4Kp60 with CEC, HDR, and HDCP 2.2 support; CVBS (composite video)
- Video Decoding
- AV1 MP-10 L5.1 up to 4Kx2K @ 60fps
- VP9 Profile-2 up to 4Kx2K @ 60fps
- H.265 HEVC MP-10 @ L5.1 up to 4Kx2K @ 60fps
- AVS2-P2 Profile up to 4Kx2K @ 60fps
- H.264 AVC HP @ L5.1 up to 4Kx2K @ 30fps
- H.264 MVC up to 1080p60
- MPEG-4 ASP @ L5 up to 1080p60 (ISO-14496)
- WMV/VC-1 SP/MP/AP up to 1080p60
- AVS-P16(AVS+) /AVS-P2 JiZhun Profile up to 1080p60
- MPEG-2 MP/HL up to 1080p60 (ISO-13818)
- MPEG-1 MP/HL up to 1080p60 (ISO-11172)
- RealVideo 8/9/10 up to 1080p60
- HDR – HDR10/10+, HLG, Dolby Vision, TCH PRIME
- Tuner – 4x TS in, ISO7816 DVB-S2, DVB-T/T2/C, DVB-S2+DVB-T/T2C Combo, ISDB-T, ATSC-T
- Audio – Stereo DACs, SPDIF-in & out, 8-ch PDM, 12+Ch I2S in, 12+Ch I2S out for far-field mics and a small speaker
- 10/100M Ethernet
- 802.11 b/g/n/a/ac 2.4G/5G 2T2R MIMO Wi-Fi 5
- Bluetooth 5.0
- USB – 1x USB port, 1x USB-C port, 1x Micro USB console port
- DRM – Widevine, PlayReady
- Misc – Power button, reset pinhole
- Power Supply – 12V DC
SEI Robotics does not provide software development kits, but the company told CNX Software the RDK SDK can be downloaded from the official website, while Android TV code can be obtained on Amlogic git if a TADA agreement (TV Application Distribution Agreement) has been signed with Google. AOSP is another option. For reference, SEI Robotics worked with Google on ADT-2 developer kit.
The company confirmed DroidLogic Amlogic S905X4 developer kit is available now and ready to ship. It’s clearly not a consumer product, as it sells for $199 whether you add a tuner or not.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|