Nordic Semi keeps adding more nRF7002 WiFi 6 boards with the launch of the nRF7002 Expansion Board adding WiFi 6 connectivity to the Thingy:53 IoT prototyping platform and transforming it into an all-in-one wireless devkit with Matter, Bluetooth Low Energy, Thread, and WiFi 6 support.
The new “nRF7002 EB” board follows the nRF7002 DK development kit combining the nRF7002 WiFi 6 with nRF5340 multiprotocol wireless SoCs, and the nRF7002 EK evaluation kit in Arduino UNO shield form factor adding WiFi 6 to existing Nordic development kits.
nRF7002 Expansion Board specifications:
- Chipset – nRF7002 Wi-Fi Companion IC with support for features such as OFDMA (Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiple Access), Beamforming, Target Wake Time, and SSID-based locationing
- Antenna – 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz ceramic antenna
- Castellations for all pins on nRF7002
- Thingy:53 expansion connector with SPI and a 3-wire coexistence interface to allow seamless coexistence with other wireless protocols
- Misc – SWF port for RF measurements
- Thingy:53 Plug-in form factor
- Perforations along the neck of the Thingy:53 specific connector to solder the nRF7002 EB to other boards
On the software side, the nRF7002 Expansion Board is supported in the nRF Connect SDK and an Edge Impulse Wi-Fi sample allows the Thingy:53 to upload data samples to Edge Impulse studio directly using Wi-Fi, instead of relaying them via a Bluetooth LE-connected smartphone. Hardware documentation can be found in the infocenter and a guide to get started with the nRF7002 EB using the nRF Connect SDK is available on the developer’s website.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.