Espressif Systems unveiled the ESP32-H2 Bluetooth 5.2 LE & 802.15.4 RISC-V microcontroller in August 2021, but the ESP32-H2-DevKitM-1 development board based on the ESP32-H2-MINI-1 module has only been selling on the official Espressif’s Aliexpress store for $9.90 for a few weeks.
The ESP32-H2-DevKitM-1 development board allows the development of applications with Bluetooth 5.2 LE, Zigbee, Thread, and/or Matter connectivity, features two USB Type-C ports, Boot & Reset buttons, and RGB LED, and two rows of 15 pins exposing all I/Os from the ESP32-H2-MINI-1 module.
- Wireless module – ESP32-H2-MINI-1
- MCU – Espressif Systems ESP32-H2 32-bit RISC-V microcontroller at up to 96 MHz with 320 KB SRAM, 128 KB ROM, 4 KB LP memory, Bluetooth 5.2 LE/Mesh and 802.15.4 (Zigbee/Thread/Matter) radios.
- Storage – 4MB flash storage (E1N4 on the photo above should mean 4MB, but there are also ESP32-H2-MINI-1 modules with 1MB and 2MB flash)
- PCB antenna
- Dimensions – 13.2×16.6×2.4 mm
- USB – 2x USB Type-C ports one USB 2.0 Full Speed host (12 Mbps max), the other for USB UART via CP2102 USB-to-TTL chip
- I/Os – 2x 15-pin headers with 19 programmable GPIOs, 2x UART, 3x SPI, I2C, I2S, Remote Control Peripheral, LED PWM, Full-speed USB Serial/JTAG Controller, GDMA, MCPWM…
- USB-C UART
- J5 for current measurement.
- Misc – Power LED, RGB LED, Boot and Reset buttons
- Power Supply
- 5V via USB Type-C port
- 5V to 3.3V LDO
- Dimensions – 48.26 x 25.40 mm
Note the development kits sold on Aliexpress are currently based on “Sample chip Revision v0.1” which will be different from the mass-produced chip. Different in which way, I don’t know, but the important part is that you may have to update ESP-IDF to the latest version and rebuild firmware before applying the software designed for chip revision v0.1 to the mass production version.
You can check out the documentation to find more hardware details and get started with the ESP-IDF framework since other ports like Arduino Core for ESP32 won’t be working at this time.
While the development kit is available on Aliexpress, the ESP32-H2-MINI-1 module is not, probably because mass production of the ESP32-H2 chip has not started. Having said that, I can see Mouser has close to 10,000 modules on backorder for $2.15 per unit (2MB flash), and Adafruit has the ESP32-H2-MINI-1 module with 4MB flash listed as “coming soon” for $2.25.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.