I’ve now got several RK3188 mini PCs, but I hadn’t found full sized set-top boxes based on Rockchip RK3188 quad core processor with Ethernet, and multiple USB ports. Thanks to a post in mini PC G+ community, we have now a nice looking quad core STB called K-R42-1 by Kingnovel, which might be the
manufacturer design house behind the device, and sold for $96 including shipping in one Aliexpress store under the model name MK888.
K-R42-1 / MK888 Specifications:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3188 quad Cortex-A9 CPU @ 1.6 GHz + Mali-400 MP4 GPU @ 500 MHz
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3 SDRAM
- Storage – 8GB Nand Flash + MicroSD slot (Up to 32GB)
- 10/100M Ethernet
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n with external antenna
- Bluetooth EDR 2.0
- Video Output – HDMI 1.3 + AV output jack
- Audio Output – HDMI + S/PDIF
- Video Codecs (Decode) – MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264 (up to 60 Mbps), AVS, VC-1, RV, VP6/VP8, Sorenson Spark, MVC @ 1080p60
- Video Codecs (Encode) – H.264, VP8, and MVC @ 1080p
- Audio Codecs – MP1,MP2,MP3,WMA,WAV,OGG,OGA,APE,FLAC,AAC,M4A,3GPP…etc
- USB – 2x USB Host
- Misc – IR port
- Power – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 142x95x21 mm
The device is said to come with a power adapter, an HDMI Cable, and a user’s manual. In the picture below from Aliexpress, there’s one additional port referred to as “micro HDMI”, just next to the full HDMI port, but I’m not convinced… It might be a micro USB port instead.
Finally, MK888 is currently running Android 4.1.1, but will be upgrade to Android 4.2.2. At $96, it seems quite cheap compared to RK3188 based mini PCs, many of which cost nearly the same, but with less features.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or cryptocurrencies, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|