There has been many home automation and Internet of things projects featured on crowdfunding sites this year, and IoT products such as smartwatches, fitness bands, smart sockets, connected lights… have started to take off. Archos plans to leverage this trend with their Connect Objects offerings divided in two parts: Connected Home and Connected Self.
Archos Smart Home is a system that let you monitor and control your home via your smartphone or tablet using the company’s Smart Home App and Connected Objects. The set will come with a 7″ tablet, a mini cam, a USB data cable and documentation. It’s not clear right now if others objects: motion ball, weather tag, movement tag, and smartplug, will be part of the set or need to be purchased separately.
Key features of Smart Home Tablet:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3168 dual core Cortex A9 processor with Mali-400MP4.
- System Memory – 512 MB RAM
- Storage – 8GB flash + micro SD (compatible with cards up to 64GB)
- Display – 7″ display – 1024×600 resolution
- Connectivity – Dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth
- Ports – micro USB 2.0 OTG, mini HDMI output, 3.5 mm audio jack
- Camera – 0.3MP from camera
The specs also list Android 4.2.2, but as you’ll see below all objects are connected via Bluetooth 4.0 LE, so the operating system will likely be upgraded to Android 4.4.x or this may not work that well.
Connected Objects details:
- Mini Cam – VGA camera with 3x CR2450 batteries.
- Motion Ball – Infrared motion detection device with 3x CR2450 batteries.
- Movement Tag – Movement detection device using accelerometer and magnet contact powered by one CR2430 battery.
- Weather Tag – Measures temperature (±0,3 degree; -10° to + 50°) and humidity (±1%; 0% to 100%). Powered by one CR2430 battery.
All connected objects are waterproof, and use Bluetooth 4.0 LE for connectivity with a maximum range of 26 meters indoor. There’s also an Archos Smart Plug that you can turn off/on remotely but no details are provided on Archos website.
You can use this system for security purpose, convenience, and to save electricity. The Smart App let you edit different scenario such as:
- The motion detector detects presence outside, the mini cam takes a picture, and sends it to your email.
- If it is freezing outside, set the alarm a few minutes before, to allow you to spend some time to de-ice the car.
- Switch the hall light on when you open the hallway door during the night, automatically switch off after 5 min.
- Archos Connected Scale – Automatically synchronizes your weigh-ins to your mobile device wirelessly so you can track your readings on the app. Internal memory can store up to 30 measurements, automatically supports 4 users, and the scale has a 180kg capacity.
- Archos Activity Tracker – Monitors steps and calories burned, and synchronizes your daily activity to your mobile device wirelessly. The app also lets you set goals, and share your activity on Facebook. The lithium battery is rechargeable via USB, and the device can be used for 7 days on a charge.
- Archos Blood Pressure Monitor – Automatically synchronizes your systolic, diastolic blood pressure, and heart rate readings to your mobile device wirelessly. The monitor needs to be wrapped around your wrist.
Albeit not part of Connected Objects offering, Liliputing reports Archos will launch a smartwatch compatible for iOS and Android that will sell for just $50, as well as a Smart Tracker for your pet(s).
I could not find availability nor pricing information at this stage, further information is available on Archos Connected Objects page, and we may also learn more at CES 2014.
Thanks to Didier (my brother) for the tip.