The Prpl foundation will focus on three key objectives:
- Portability – To create ISA agnostic software for rapid deployment across multiple architecture
- Virtualization & security – To enable multi-tenant, secure, software, environments in datacenter, networking & storage, home, mobile and embedded
- Heterogeneous Computing – To leverage compute resources enabling next generation big data analytics and mining
Initially there will PEG (Prpl Engineering Group) to take of the following projects for 4 market segments (datacenter, network & storage, connected consumers, and Embedded & IoT):
- Linux – Optimizations for enterprise, home and embedded Linux.
- Android – Getting started with Android, and Android source code
- Developer Tools – Used in conjunction with Android and Linux OS
- Virtualization & Secure Supervisor – Secure multi-container frameworks
- OpenWRT – Enabling carrier-grade features to complement OpenWRT
Companies can join Prpl as Board Members or Contributors Members, and individuals can join the foundation for free to engage with the community and access source code and tools.
Since the the Prpl foundation has just been launched, there aren’t any tools or software available right now, but if you are interested in MIPS development, and possibly other architecture which may be part of Prpl later on, you can get more information and/or join the foundation on Prpl Foundation Website.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.