RedBearLab’s Blend Micro is an Arduino compatible board with Bluetooth 4.0 Low Enery (aka Bluetooth Smart) connectivity, that’s part of Arduino-at-heart, a partner program initiated by the developers of Arduino boards. It has been made to help design low power Internet-Of-Things (IoT) projects quickly and easily.
- MCU – Atmel ATmega32u4 @ 8 MHz with 32KB flash (4KB used by bootloader), 2.5 KB SRAM, and 1KB EEPROM.
- Connectivity – Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy via Nordic nRF8001 chip
- USB – 1x micro USB port
- Serial (Tx/Rx)
- I2C, SPI
- U to 16 Digital I/Os
- Up to 6 Analog inputs
- Operating Voltage – 3.3V
- Input Voltage – 5V (USB), and 3.3-12V (VIN)
- Power Consumption – 2mA (average – using Interrupt mode)
- Dimensions – 43.6 x 18.4 x 4.3mm
- Weight – 4g
The specs are very similar to BLEDuino, except it’s slightly smaller. Blend Micro can communicate with BLE enabled devices running one of the following operating systems:
- iOS 7 – iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5, iPad 3/4/mini/Air
- Android 4.3 or above, but Android 4.4 is recommended for stability. E.g. Nexus 4, Nexus 7.
- Windows 8.1 with built-in Bluetooth 4.0 or USB dongle
- Linux with BlueZ 5.1 with built-in Bluetooth 4.0 or USB dongle
I understand these are supported via Nordic Bluetooth Smart SDK for Arduino, and development can be done via the standard Arduino IDE, and soon it will even be possible to download your sketch over the air. RedBearLab has also released “BLE controller” demo app for Android and iOS.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|