An Allwinner A80 board for TV boxes / mini PC started to show up in the upcoming Z8C Alice TV box a few weeks ago, and the board, or another one with exactly the same layout, made it into Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta and Telos mini PCs with respectively 2GB RAM/16GB eMMC, and 4GB RAM/32GB eMMC, and selling for $149.99 and $199.99 on GeekBuying.
- SoC – AllWinner Ultra Core A80 4x Cortex 15, 4x Cortex A7 big.LITTLE processor with Imagination Technologies PowerVR GC6230 GPU with support for OpenGL ES 1.1/2.0/3.0, Directx 9.3
- System Memory – 2GB (Meta), or 4GB (Telos) DDR3
- Storage – 16 GB (Meta) or 32GB (Telos) eMMC + SD card slot + SATA port (via a USB 2.0/3.0 bridge)
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4b + AV port
- Audio – HDMI, AV, and optical S/PDIF
- (Main) Video Codecs – H.265/VP9 up to 1080p @ 30 fps (software decode?), H.264/VP8 up to 4K2K @ 30fps, 1080p120, or 720p240
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac with external antenna, Bluetooth 4.0
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 OTG port (full size), 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- Misc – IR receiver
- Power Supply – 12V/2A
- Dimensions – 16.4 x 16.4 x 2.75 cm
- Weight – 442 grams
The box runs a rooted Android 4.4 firmware pre-loaded with XBMC/Kodi, Netflix, Youtube, Hulu Plus, Plex Skype, and supporting OTA updates. Linux (Ubuntu/Fedora?) beta images will be released by the end of November. Draco AW80 is sold with a simple IR remote control, a SATA cable, and HDMI cable, a male to male USB cable (for OTG port), a power adapter, and a user’s manual. Allwinner A80 Antutu scores are usually all over the place, but for reference only, this device manages to get 55,106 points in Antutu 5.1.5. Beside the fast processor, this is only of the rare boxes with fast interface include Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0, and SATA. The main downside is that the price is very close to competing fanless Intel based mini PCs.
Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2GB/16GB) will ship now, but the 4GB RAM version, AW80 Telos is only available for pre-order with shipping scheduled for the end of November. I understand people who purchased Tronsmart Orion R28 Beta may be able to get a $20 discount, and an SDK for the device will be released. However, based on previous experience, the Android SDK is likely to be outdated.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|