Nvidia announced their latest Tegra X1 processor at CES 2015 earlier this week, and after showcasing it’s computing and power-saving capabilities, the company focus on its applications: automotive dashboard and driverless cars. Nothing about tablets, or gaming consoles, probably because these two are more cost sensitive than the automotive market. But finally, we’ll see at least one tablet powered by TX1: Nabi Big Tabs. I say “tablet”, but at 55″ to 65″, it’s more like a TV with a touchscreen…
Fuhu actually announced four TV sized Big Tab XL tablets. The “small” ones with 32″ and 42″ FullHD displays come with a Tegra K1, while the larger ones (55″ and 65″ / 4K UHD) are powered by a Tegra X1 processor.
Here are some of the specs for the tablets:
- Nvidia Tegra K1 quad-core Cortex A15 processor @ 2.3GHz with 192-core Kepler GPU or
- Nvidia Tegra X1 octa-core Cortex A57/A53 processor with 256-core Maxwell GPU
- System Memory – 2GB (K1) or 4GB (X1) RAM
- Storage – N/A
- 32″ or 42″ Full HD (1080p) touchscreen display
- 55″ or 65″ 4K UHD (2160p) touchscreen display with 20 to 40 touchpoints. (Yes, that’s 4 to 8 hands!)
- Video Input – 2 or 3 HDMI inputs
- Audio – Front ported speaker chamber
- Connectivity – WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC
- USB – A few USB ports on the side
- Dimensions – Very large
- Weight – Very heavy
The demo model at CES 2015 is running Android 4.4, but the retail version will features Android 5.0 instead. In case the picture above did not provide enough clues, these are marketed as kids tablet, and the company’s Blue Morpho OS with over 400 games, educational and artistic apps help achieve this goal. It will be fun to see apps supporting 8 hands…
Fuhu’s large tablets are expected for Q4 2015. Prices have not been disclosed yet, but should be slightly above equivalent televisions.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|