MinnowBoard MAX launched las year as a low cost board based on Intel Bay Trail-I single or dual core processor, and was mostly targeting developers of embedded systems and hobbyists, but could not be used by OEMs as it lacked FCC & CE certifications. ADI Engineering designed a MinnowBoard compatible board named MinnowBoard Turbot with a faster Intel Atom E3826 dual core processor, FCC & CE certifications, and various other hardware modifications bringing improved HDMI, a better voltage regulator, and populating several connectors.
MinnowBoard Turbot specifications:
- SoC – Intel Atom E3826 dual-core processor @ 1.46 GHz (7W TDP)
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3L 1333 MT/s (Soldered) – Options: 1GB, or 4GB DDR3L
- Storage – 1x Micro SD card slot, 1x SATA2 3Gb/sec, 8 MB SPI Flash for firmware (Tianocore UEFI, Coreboot / SeaBIOS)
- Video & Audio Output – micro HDMI connector
- Connectivity – 10/100/1000M Ethernet RJ-45 connector
- USB – 1x USB 3.0 host, 1x USB 2.0 host
- Debugging – Serial debug via FTDI cable
- Expansion headers
- Low-speed expansion (LSE) port – 2×13 (26-pin) male 0.1″ pin header with access to SPI, I2C, I2S Audio, 2x UARTs (TTL-level), 8x GPIO (including 2x supporting PWM), +5V, and GND
- High-speed expansion (HSE) port – 60-pin, high-density connector with access to 1x PCIe Gen 2.0 Lane, 1x SATA2 3Gb/sec, 1x USB 2.0 host, I2C, GPIO, JTAG, +5V, and GND
- 8x buffered GPIO
- Power Supply – 5V DC input via coaxial jack, 5V DC output via 2-pin header
- Dimensions – 99 x 74mm
- Temperature Range – Operating: 0 – 70 deg C (fanless); Storage: -20 to +85 deg C
- Certifications – FCC part 15 Class B, CE Class B, IEC-60950, RoHS/WEEE
The Turbot board will support Lure expansion boards designed for MinnowBoard MAX, as well as its software including operating systems such as Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Android 4.4, Yocto Project Linux, Ubuntu, Fedora, and FreeBSD.It will be open source hardware with design files (schematics, PCB layout, gerber, BoM) released under Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0.
The platform is currently sampling to early customers, and will be listed on minnowboard.org in mid-September 2015, before shipping in quantities in October 2015. Price is $139 MSRP for single unit order, and the board, lures and an anodized aluminum case can already be pre-ordered from Netgate. Further information can be found on ADi Engineering MinnowBoard Turbot product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.