H7 Hummingbird development board powered by Allwinner H8 octa-core Cortex A7 processor with support for 1080p H265 video decoding launched this summer, but Merrii does not usually provide much support to individual developers. Linksprite is about to launch a new H8 development board that also comes with Arduino compatible headers.
pcDuino8 Uno board specifications:
- SoC – AllWinner H8 octa-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor @ up to 2.0GHz with PowerVR SGX544 GPU @ up to 700MHz
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – micro SD card slot up to 32GB
- Video Output – HDMI 1.4 up to 1080p with HDCP support
- Audio I/O – HDMI, 3.5mm analog audio jack
- Connectivity – Ethernet (100M LAN shown on board, but “Gbps” listed in specs)
- USB – 1x USB 2.0 host port, 2x micro USB ports (1x OTG, 1x power only)
- Camera – 1x MIPI CSI header
- Expansion Headers – Arduino Uno headers with 14x GPIO, 2xPWM, 1x UART, 1x SPI 1x I2C, and 6xADC (extra module needed for ADC)
- Misc – Unpopulated IR receiver
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 9.20 x 5.4 cm
The board does not quite has as many features as H7 Hummingbird, and lacks internal storage, a wireless module, and an LVDS connector. It is also half the size, so you can expect it to be significantly cheaper. pcDuino8 Uno board is not available for sale, and I could not find any target price, but Linksprite is selling an Allwinner H8 based pcDuino8 STB kit for $49, with a different PCB but somewhat similar specs, so we should most probably expect the development board to sell below $50 too.
The board will run Ubuntu 14.04/14.10 and Android 4.4, but firmware, source, and documentation have not been released yet for the board. There’s just an Android image for pcDuino8 STB. More information should eventually be added to pcDuino8 Uno product page.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|