Orange Pi PC Not Booting? You Are Not Alone…

Orange Pi PC development board launched at the end of August, and quickly went viral thanks to low $15 price tag. The company, Shenzhen Xunlong Software,  is fairly small, with just over 10 employees, so when they started getting several thousands customers in a short time, they may have been overwhelmed, and this likely resulted in delays with regards to shipping, and acceptance into Orange Pi forums. Several people have now received their boards, and while many found it to work fine, I’ve been informed several people apparently got a non booting device.

Orange_Pi_PCPeople on Youtube and Orange Pi Forums also complained about a booting issue until Ethernet lights up, or Ethernet not working, while other reports Linux is working, but not Android. Unless there was a bad batch during manufacturing, it’s hopefully mostly a firmware issue. The person who reports Ethernet not working, first used the images from Orange Pi download, but later found out the “Loboris images”, which I tried on Orange Pi 2 mini with Debian 8, are just working fine. So it may pay off using these first to check the issue is not firmware related, and connecting a USB to TTL debug board would also be useful to debug any problem. I’d also recommend not validating the reception of the board on Aliexpress until you’ve confirmed it works. If you’ve already received an Orange Pi PC, it might be interesting to report if you had any luck or bad luck with your Orange Pi PC in the comments section.

Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon
Advertisements
newest most voted
EKrava
EKrava

Wrong image used?
i had same trouble, but download image for orange pi not for orange pi pc, from here http://www.orangepi.org/downloadresources/
1st section named OrangePI
latest download section named OrangePI PC
images from 1st section is not booted, images from last section boot correctly

Dave Ingram
Dave Ingram
4 years ago

I’ve tried multiple SD cards and multiple images, including the loboris images. No dice. The red LED lights up, both ethernet jack lights light up, but there’s no activity. No video signal on HDMI, no ethernet packets come out from a tcpdump capture on the other end.

It just appears to be dead. Has anyone successfully hooked up a serial monitor and seen anything?

LinAdmin
LinAdmin
4 years ago

I have ordered 2 of these and within the promised 15 days did not get the postal tracking number, so I am pretty sure that it has not been shipped.

I also wonder why the aliexpress page does not show any feedback from units which have been ordered months ago!

Imho this stinks.

gicho
gicho
4 years ago

I received mine several weeks ago, Linux boots fine but I had no success with Android. I used Loboris images but in all cases the board just blinks at power on. I tried different power sources so it was not a power issue.

Jkx
Jkx
4 years ago

I get two board that’s boot fine.

But, I run into issue w/ the H3 temperature. At max speed, max load, I get 75° even w/ a heatsink.. The H3 disable the core due to cpu temp.

stickman
stickman
4 years ago

Android images need to be written with a special software made by allwinner called PhoenixCard.

bin files need to be burn in startup mode, otherwise only the ethernet light will work but the board won’t boot.

Anders
Anders
4 years ago

Mine boot Debian jessie xfce correctly. Need to copy the correct script.bin to get Ethernet working. The uImage was the correct one allready.
Only one USB port working. The bottom one of the pair.

paul
paul
4 years ago

I was reading the post and realised the H3 chip set was used, yeah i have had problems with my H3 tv box, especially booting, ive got to unplugs and retry a f times before all is even ok yet android image is not stable. I think, yet don’t know why, they rushed the soc to market. With the A31/33/80 soc all winner was doing well.

@cnx any way to subscribe to posts ive replied to?

Abdullbasit
Abdullbasit

@EKrava
Why didn’t you leave a feedback on the item in aliexpress? I thought that none had received OPi PC so i was a little hesitated to order one because i ordered OPi mini in 1st June and didn’t receive it yet

kk
kk
4 years ago

Hi, my board arrived about a week ago, it’s quality is ok. After a bit of reading on the forums, I decided to use loboris Debian images (dd them to sdcard), and these require copying correct script-bin* to script-bin and uImage too. The newer kernel, modules and script images were uploaded later in another file, and it’s just matter of copying them to boot partition of sd card, and to /lib/modules. After that it booted correctly with ethernet and all 4 usb ports working. Be careful that sunxi-linux which is used, doesn’t have many of the modules and firmware files… Read more »

Christopher biggs
4 years ago

My boards give blank screen when using a HDMI-to-DVI cable with a DVI-only monitor. It was only when I tested on my TV that I confirmed the boards worked. If you are having video problems, confirm the board is booting using the serial console (115200bps).

Anyone gotten DVI working?

Exaga
4 years ago

I’ve read that the Orange Pi and Banana Pi (Allwinner A20 SoC) are binary compatible.

Jon Smirl
4 years ago

@Christopher biggs DVI may not be working because the images are built so that they are fixed at 720P or 1080P. If the DVI monitor doesn’t support one of those two modes the display won’t come on. For example no 4:3 ratio monitor is going to support 720P or 1080P. You have to go into the source code and expand the number of monitor configurations supported. You can use the command line with the DVI monitor plugged into to dump the EDID. EDID is what the monitor sends to tell what modes it supports. I think you can also build… Read more »

John C
John C
4 years ago

When I got mine (2 weeks ago), I thought it was defective, no video, and having already a Raspi 2 and a Banana PI I know what to expect … so I thought. But it is just the horribly bad Linux distro they offer and ghastly bad default device boot-up setup. The Orange Pi PC with the standard distro or no SD card does not(!) work at all on most 1080p monitors. Neither my TV not my “emergency” 1080p monitor would show a picture via HDMI. Red LED on, both NIC LEDs on. So I thought, well that is toast.… Read more »

Mark Birss
Mark Birss
4 years ago

The two $15 boards I received both of them only 1 USB port is working and the one cannot keep the sd card in the slot.

hp
hp
4 years ago

I’ve received my Orange Pi pc last friday, tried Ubuntu and raspbian images, the Ubuntu booted one time, but screen was not responsive to keyboard. al other attempts failed sofar

Raspbian didn’t boot at all.( Raspbian img used from the Orange Pi)

John C
John C

@John C

@Mark Birss
Now that I see it mentioned, I too have only one USB port working, I thought it may be a config issue but looks like not.
SD card sits snug though … so far …

John C
John C

@hp

@Dave Ingram
Hooked up a serial monitor as last ditch effort and saw the thing boot fine.
After lots of head scratching I found the Orange PI PC in my router’s DHCP table, SSHed, in and it worked fine via SSH.
Then found http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=342
You have to follow the description to the letter. Used the mini image, copied the matching files as directed after imaging the SD card. Boots 100% fine. Never more glad to have that $2 USB to TTL adapter, would have written that Orange PI PC off.

Mark Birss
Mark Birss

@John C

Hi, the 1 USB port issue is fixed with replacing the uImage (kernel) after wrinting the sd card from http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=342, (script_kernel.tar.gz) i used uImage_OPI_2 (rename to uImage) and one of the OPI-PC script files (rename to script.bin)

Tetsuo
Tetsuo
4 years ago

Hi I’m Tetsuo and I’d like to share my Orange Pi experience. I was wildly enthusiastic about the idea of an Android/Linux RasPi clone for US$15+. I went straight to AliExpress and ordered 2 of them. I also ordered 2 of the full house SATA,WiFi etc boards. If you are considering doing the same, please be aware of the following. The money was withdrawn from my account the next day – US$106 07-09-2015 TETSUO : I sent a msg asking when the order would be shipped. I was going away for a week on 27-09-2015 and wanted to make sure… Read more »

Jon Smirl
4 years ago

@Tetsuo Orange Pi never had your money, it was Aliexpress who charged you immediately and who has always had your money. Aliexpress does not give Orange Pi your money until the signed receipt comes back from the delivery. Aliexpress is a giant company (Alibaba) so your money was never really at risk. You got the refund from Aliexpress, because that is who had your money, not Orange Pi. Aliexpress gives blackmarks to Orange Pi over every refund request. They may also charge Orange Pi a small fee. That is why they tried to delay your refund. If you get too… Read more »

abbyboy
abbyboy

@Tetsuo
I can sell you one with casebox and Android or Ubuntu loaded. You can add me as friend with Skype. My skype name is Preastchan. I am from China. The board you ordered sold out. But I bought five pieces, and I can sell two of them with a few bucks higher than the market price.

abbyboy
abbyboy
4 years ago

The Android firmware works well with Kodi or MXplayer. I can play HD videos and movies. I modified the firmware to make it more useful. Now I can use a USB wifi dongle without the ethernet cable to play online videos. But the Debian and Ubuntu is crappy when play videos, I guess the GPU driver or Mali is not working a.t.m..

John C
John C

@Mark Birss
Thanks! I did all that a few weeks ago to get the OPI working at all, but he/they must have fixed that issue in the uimage in the meantime.
With the uimage (uImage_OPI_2) in the latest scriptbin_kernel_test.tar.gz from Oct 4 all three USB ports work now.
The script.bin was identical, so no change there.
Thanks for reminding me to test with a newer uimage. 🙂

JacquesN
JacquesN

@Dave Ingram
i use the debian8 jessie download. Monitored the boot process with minicom : 115200; 8n1; hardware flowctl off.
Waiting for HDMI2VGA converter i only could use the TV for a HDMI connection. The boot porcess is also displayed.
I use the CVBS (composite with a converter at the moment.) The power switch doesn’t do anything. That is as far as i am now.
Hope this is of use to someone

JacquesN
JacquesN

@LinAdmin
When i got afraid for my order I send a messge the reply was something like we do what we can at production. It will be shipped.
The plus was shipped the very last day of the aliexpress shipping period. The OPi PC followed the same procedure.
So we’re too many orddering ;))

Rad
Rad

Hi!
I’ve tested Kodi in Android, it runs well, 1080p videos playback is smooth, IPTV via onboard ethernet has good perfomance too. It seems to be possible to build cheap mediacenter with this board, but there is one issue: I can’t make work HDMI-CEC to control the board with my tv remote.
Option “Easylink” in my tv is activated, but Kodi doesn’t recieve remote commands.
Has anybody ideas about HDMI-CEC?

I Cole
I Cole
4 years ago

I received a Orange PI PC a couple of days ago and it doesn’t work at all. The leds on the network connector light up but there are no other signs of life. I’ve seen reference to a red led power indicator and if there is one mine doesn’t light up. In hopes it might not have a power indicator have tried two different images I downloaded from the referenced site and they don’t do anything. Think mine is DOA. Received a camera with it and it has a cable and a board that it appears to attach thru even… Read more »

Joscor
Joscor
4 years ago

Can anyone upload the Android image for Orange PI PC to google drive?

Tom
Tom
4 years ago

Very happy with the 15$ pieces, have the amazing Zidoo x1 FW on one of it..great deal.
But be aware of almost all of the linux FWs..they are heavily badly coded…
Try openelec modified from Alexiis…great great great…

I cole
I cole
4 years ago

How does one get ‘authorized’ to view and post on the orange pi area? I registered and then get a message that I need to wait for approval before I can do anything. It’s been over 24 hours and still not approved. I’d like to get the information on how to change the video mode but can’t get to the referenced article. Don’t understand having to go through the ‘approval’ process. Don’t remember having to wait for the Raspberry PI stuff.

LinAdmin
LinAdmin
4 years ago

Tom : Can not understand the complains over Orange Pi PC, i ordered 3 units, they arrived in a flash within 12!! days. You somehow must be a very lucky guy. I ordered two and the deadline at Alixpress exhausted before they were shipped. It looks like the Aliexpress shop then automatically cancels the order?? I also noticed that until recently the thousands of sales had not yet resulted in any feedback entries. Now there are 16 (selected?) feedback entries and the big rest seems to have disappeared. Imho this does not look like a small company being surprised, but… Read more »

Dale Humphrey
Dale Humphrey
4 years ago

BILLIONS more units would have sold. If they accepted paypal or american express. I needed 3 sbc, couldnt order one when they 1st came available so got an rpi2 from mcm, tried to order another about 2 weeks later, still no luck so i ordered a 2nd rpi from geerbest, Last week another payday and still no practical way to order it from home, so I got an x105 exp card for the pi, 1 more sbc to order, if they dont change there payment system… Any one know of a simple and easy way to order one of these… Read more »

LinAdmin
LinAdmin

@Dale Humphrey
Be happy you could not order because you most probably would not have received it.

There had been thousands of pending feedbacks, which over night disappeared and now there are only very few mostly positive feedbacks…

LinAdmin
LinAdmin

cnxsoft :
@LinAdmin
I could not see any complaints about people being scammed

Well, my understanding of the legal situation is such that making a binding offer in a shop, taking orders and money with the promise to deliver within 15 days – and then not fulfilling it’s obligations is illegal. Even if the money is later refunded, the offering company has not fulfilled it’s legal obligation, and that is why I maintain that it is a scam.

Eugene
4 years ago

For DVI working on HDMI you need find section [hdmi_para] in script.fex and add these parameters under it
hdcp_enable = 0
hdmi_cts_compatibility = 1

Karsten
Karsten
4 years ago

I get an Orange Pi one week ago.
I tried two Images but it does not boot!
* Raspbian_For_OrangePi2_mini2_v0_8_0.img.xz
* 2015-09-24-raspbian-jessie.img.xz
There are only the led’s on the network port on.
The graphic chip is not initialized.

For me this Orange Pi mini 2 is rubbish!

Peter Scargill

@Dave Ingram
Yes it is ALL down to not having working images – the Orange Pi website is not worth a light – neither is their support, however if you get the right image – it WILL start up – it will NOT look like a Raspberry Pi, but you can get Debian working. I’ve not managed to get SOUND working but a pal of mine did.

Rien Kriboo
Rien Kriboo
4 years ago

Can you tell me where to find the correct Orange Pi PC script.bin and uImage?

I have got the same problem as several others in here.
Both ethernet leds light up but there is no red led anywhere to be seen.

hp
hp
4 years ago

Hi guys, good news from my end,

so i tried the Lubuntu image that Orange Pi made available and still the Orange Pi wouldn’t show anyting on screen. the screen would just blink. but then i checked my router, and the orange pi PC claimed an ip, i SSH’d into it and it works..

I use a hdmi to dvi cable to my monitor so maybe that is to problem. according to this post i need to make a new script.bin.

this post: http://www.orangepi.org/orangepibbsen/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=475&extra=&page=1

I’ll give it a try it sounds promising 🙂

Christopher biggs

@Jon Smirl
Thanks, this patch to script.bin fixed it via the post that @hp links below.

[hdmi_para]
hdmi_used = 1
hdmi_power = “vcc-hdmi-18”
+hdcp_enable = 0
+hdmi_cts_compatibility = 1

Edgard
Edgard
4 years ago

@I Cole Hi! I’ve the same problem, Ethernet lights are both fixed on but no Power On red led lihgt. I’m asking for a full refund because I’ve got the usb power wire so I would not have powering problem with mi 5V2A power source, and use a class 10 micro SD card with the correct image. But it doesn’t mind, Power On led never has lit. The seller is disputing me the return because he is triying to make me do the things that I’ve already done… The last one is that the seller directed me to this forum,… Read more »

Advertisements