Orange Pi 2 is a board powered by Allwinner H3 quad core processor that sells for $25. Shenzhen Xunlong Software has now launched a lower cost version with Orange Pi PC, still based on Allwinner H3 SoC, but getting ridiculously cheap at $15 + shipping ($3.43 in my case).
- SoC – Allwinner H3 quad core Cortex A7 @ 1.6 GHz (likely 1.2 GHz instead) with an ARM Mali-400MP2 GPU up to 600 MHz
- System Memory – 1GB DDR3
- Storage – micro SD card slot (up to 64GB)
- Video Output – HDMI with CEC and HDCP support, AV port
- Audio I/O – HDMI, AV port, on-board microphone
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet
- USB – 3x USB 2.0 host ports, 1x micro USB OTG port
- Camera – CSI Interface
- Expansions – 40-pin Raspberry Pi compatible header with 28 GPIOs, UART, I2C, SPI, PWM, CAN, I2S, SPDIF, LRADC, ADC, LINE-IN, FM-IN, and HP-IN
- Debugging – 3-pin UART header for serial console
- Misc – IR receiver; Power button; Power and status LEDs
- Power Supply – 5V/2A via barrel jack (micro USB OTG cannot be used to power the board).
- Dimensions – 85 x 55 mm (vs 93 x 60 mm for Orange Pi 2)
- Weight – 38 grams
Compared to Orange Pi 2, Orange Pi PC is smaller, and it loses one USB port, reset and u-boot keys, and the WiFi module.
The new Orange Pi board should be fully software compatible with the previous H3 versions, and you can find firmware images for Lubuntu, Android 4.4, Raspbian, Debian server, as well as the Linux and Android SDK on the Download page. Bear in mind that the company is good a launching ultra low cost hardware, but seems under staffed, so if you expect support and regularly updated images, this board won’t be for you, and instead you need to be prepared to rely on others in the forums, and most likely do the job yourself. Good luck! There’s also a product page, but not with much more information.
Thank to Brian for the tip.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal or become a Patron on Patreon|