It looks like Next Things’ C.H.I.P computer with Allwinner R8 processor will soon have a big brother with PINE A64 board powered by Allwinner R18 / A64 quad core Cortex A53 processor, and made by a US start-up also called PINE 64.
PINE A64 and PINE A64+, a version with more memory and features, will have the following specifications:
- SoC – Allwinner R18 (based on Allwinner A64?) quad core ARM Cortex A53 processor @ 1.2 GHz with Mali-400MP2 GPU
- System Memory
- PINE64 – 512 MB DDR3
- PINE64+ – 1 GB DDR3
- Storage – micro SD slot supporting up to 256 GB
- Video Output
- HDMI 1.4 up to 4K resolution @ 30 Hz
- PINE64+ only – 4-lane MIPI DSI connector and touch panel connector
- Video Codecs – H.265 up to 4K
- Audio – HDMI, 3.5 mm headphone jack
- PINE64 – Fast Ethernet + optional WiFi & Bluetooth module
- PINE64+ – Gigabit Ethernet + optional WiFi & Bluetooth module
- USB – 2x USB 2.0 host ports
- Camera (PINE64+ only) – MIPI CSI camera interface
- Expansion – 40-pin Raspberry Pi 2 compatible header + 34-pin “Euler” header
- Misc – RTC header
- Power – 5V via micro USB port; 3.7V Lithium battery support
- Dimensions – N/A
The platform will support Android 5.1, Ubuntu, and OpenWRT operating systems, as well as open source software like openHAB for automation or XBMC/Kodi. All pictures above show Allwinner R18 processor, which I’ve never heard of before, but it must be pin-to-pin compatible with Allwinner A64 as some pictures and parts of the promo video show the latter. So I assume Allwinner R18 must be a low cost version of Allwinner A64, similar to what R8 is to A13.
The boards will be launch on Kickstarter on December 9, 2015, with PINE A64 going for $15, and PINE A64+ for $19, excluding shipping and handling. You can find a few more details, and/or sign-up for the launch on pine64.com.
Thanks to Peter for the tip!
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 as a part-time endeavor, before quitting his job as a software engineering manager, and starting to write daily news, and reviews full time later in 2011.
|Support CNX Software - Donate via PayPal, become a Patron on Patreon, or buy review samples|