While there’s now a decent choice of Android TV boxes with DVB-S2 or DVB-T2 tuners, devices with ATSC tuners are a little harder to come by, and the few Android devices I know of include WeTek Play, U4 Quad, and some Mygica (Geniatech) and Vygica ATSC Android set-top boxes. SkyStream X5 is now another option, based on Amlogic S812, mostly advertised as an Android streaming player, but still with one ATSC tuner to watch free-to-air television in North America, and a few smaller countries.
SkyStream X5 specifications:
- SoC – Amlogic S812 quad core Cortex A9 processor @ 2.0 GHz with Mail-450 octa-core GPU
- System Memory – 2GB DDR3
- Storage – 16GB flash + SD card slot
- Video & Audio Output – HDMI 1.4 with HDCP support + 3 RCA ports for composite and stereo audio
- Video Codecs – MPEG, MPE, MPG, M2V, ISO, TS, VOB, DAT, AVI, MKV, MP4, MOV, 3GP, 3GPP, FLC, WMV, FLV, RM
Video Subtitles: SRT, SUB, IDX, PGS
- Audio Codecs – ACC, AC-3, ADPCM, AMR-NB, MIDI, MP2, MP3, MS-ADPCM, PCS, RV40 Vorbis WMA, AAC+ (HE-AAC vi), eAAC+ (HE-AAC v2)
- Tuner – ATSC Tuner with DVR function
- Connectivity – 10/100M Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi
- USB – 4x USB 2.0 host ports
- Power Supply – [email protected] (100-240V, 50/60Hz)
- Dimensions – 16.5 x 13.3 x 2.5 cm
The media player ships with a power adapter, SkyStream air mouse remote control with QWERTY keyboard on one side, an indoor antenna for local channels (SD only), an HDMI Cable and a Quick Start Guide & Manual. It runs Android 4.4 Kitkat (rooted) with SkyStreamTV user’s interface, and Kodi 15.2 pre-installed with over 40 video streaming add-ons.
The video below shows the DTV app and DVR function, which looks very similar to the DVB app on other Android digital TV receivers based on Amlogic processors such as HD18T or Mygica ATV586. You can also check out their YouTube account for other videos including a 30-minute Kodi tutorial, Quick Start Guide, and more.
Thanks to Enrique for tip.